Fermentables question

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Reborn627, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Reborn627

Reborn627 New Member

Good morning all!!

I'm new here and I'm about to give brewing a shot. I've got some gluten sensitivities but really love a good porter so I thought I'd give this recipe a shot. I have one question, at least right now I have one. The recipe calls for 1lb Honey. When I click the "buy ingredients" link it adds Honey Malt to my cart. My question is, is this calling for 1 lb of honey, the liquid kind, or an I steeping the honey malt or something. I'm inclined to dump a pound of honey in with the Sorghum, or whenever the "late addition" happens to be. Because it's late addition I figure it's liquid honey. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm looking forward to my first brew and would appreciate any guidance that you kind folks could offer.

Have a great day!!
    Ray

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

It's talking about actual honey, the stuff made by bees. Interesting recipe - let us know how it comes out.

3. Reborn627

Reborn627 New Member

That's what I thought,I guess I'll have a pound of honey malt hanging around the house. Thank you for your quick reply! I guess gluten free beer can be challenging but I miss my porters, I'll be sure to write a review of it when it's done.

Thanks again!
    Ray

Hawkbox likes this.
  4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

If you were to use honey malt, the beer would no longer be gluten-free.