Farewell to an old friend.

GernBlanston

Trial Member
Reaction score
Today I kegged my Rye Lager, and due to minor health problems ( I cant walk for another month), my fermenters are dry. For the first time in years, both carboys are sitting unproductively in the basement awaiting their masters return to action.
As I have nine kegs full, or mostly full, I'm not suffering for beer, but as a consequence of this necessity to shut down my pipeline, I regretfully decided to dump my loyal and long-suffering lager yeast cake. This yeast was purchased about two years ago and gave me 13 generations of service, and was still working hard to the end.
This Rye Lager is quite tasty going into the keg, and I can only assume it will remain so, as are the 12 beers that came before it.
WLP 833 Bock lager is a fairly clean lager yeast and has worked well for all types of lager styles. I got a couple of Vienna's, at least three Oktoberfests, some Bocks ,a Helles a Dortmunder Export, and my award winning Munich Dunkle. I washed it mostly, however a couple of those beers were on top of the cake.
At 8 bucks a vial and assuming two vials (conservative estimate) per batch I saved about $200 bucks.
That's foldin' money.

That cake has produced some good beer. Adieu, old friend!

I thought you were gonna say your dog died or something like that!
@ 13 generations I'd say that yeast has lived to a ripe, old age and was ready to retire.
I'll reserve shedding a tear.
Brian :p

Ive talked to a few professional brewers that say after about seven uses they start fresh with a new batch of yeast

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
Ive talked to a few professional brewers that say after about seven uses they start fresh with a new batch of yeast
Maybe they could learn a thing or two from this guy, who's still quite happy with yeast much older than that! ;)

The Brew Mentor said:
I thought you were gonna say your dog died or something like that!

Never intended it that way, but you comments got me thinking....

So I went next door and killed the neighbors cat.

LOL
Killing a cat doesn't require thinking.

It would if it were my cat.

Nothing an engineer couldn't handle.

Study some ancient text.
Draw out a chart with a graph or something.
Come up with a formula, a postulate or an algorithm.

Find its most vital organ, and do what you always do....

Work it out with a pencil.

I suppose it might work that way. So tell me, am I supposed to work out the solution with a pencil or am I supposed to work out the most vital organ?

Nosybear said:
So tell me, am I supposed to work out the solution with a pencil or am I supposed to work out the most vital organ?

Using the pencil on the organ, IS the solution.

GernBlanston said:
Nosybear said:
So tell me, am I supposed to work out the solution with a pencil or am I supposed to work out the most vital organ?

Using the pencil on the organ, IS the solution.

Eraser end or point?

Back