Expected Pre-boil gravity too high

WesBrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I scaled a recipe down to 3gallons from 5.5. The EXPECTED pre-boil gravity IN BF RECIPE EDITOR is 1.103, for an expected post boil gravity of 1.065. seems like the recipe editor calculated the lowered water volume but used the malts from the original 5.5gal recipe.
*It should be around 1.056, which is where i actually came out

Last edited:
Water it down and chuck the extra?

I scaled a recipe down to 3gallons from 5.5. The EXPECTED pre-boil gravity IN BF RECIPE EDITOR is 1.103, for an expected post boil gravity of 1.065. seems like the recipe editor calculated the lowered water volume but used the malts from the original 5.5gal recipe.
*It should be around 1.056, which is where i actually came out
Seemed like it was erring on the side of caution with your brew style Wes;).
I'd go with above...

@Yooper thoughts?

@WesBrew can you share the recipe, if private please send to yooper and myself. I haven't played with the scaling feature too much but it SHOULD be accounting for the volume difference and scaling the ingredients based on the volume difference (but not any change in efficiencies).

I found that the scaling tool changed the batch size from 5.5 to 3.0 & changed the pre boil size to 3.5, and all ingredients were adjusted correctly.... but the "post boil size" was still 5.5. The PBG did not calculate correctly even for 5.5. Anyway, I edited the "post boil size" to 3.0g and it corrected the "expected pre-boil gravity"

Back