Enzyme Additions in BF Recipe Builder

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I built a recipe on BF for a low carb, low alcohol brew and I can't see where the additions of enzymes move the the needle on the carb level in the recipe. My recipe is coming up with 11 g of carbs at an estimated 3% ABV. I have seen other recipes with a larger grain bill coming in at 5g of carbs. Am I missing something?

@Yooper?

I don't think our carb calculations take any enzymes into account, simply OG,FG,ABV.

What enzymes are you using?

If i remember correctly that should break complex sugars like maltotriose into simple sugars that are more easily fermented by most yeast, similar to a diastatic saison yeast, to produce a higher attenuation.

If that's true, if the attenuation, and OG/FG are correct, the abv and carbs should be the same as any other high attenuation yeast. It's been a year or so since I've read up on this topic though, so not top of mind anymore.

I am following a couple different articles and a specific recipe get the carbs and calories low but taste like a real beer. This is my exbeermint :D.

If i remember correctly that should break complex sugars like maltotriose into simple sugars that are more easily fermented by most yeast, similar to a diastatic saison yeast, to produce a higher attenuation.

If that's true, if the attenuation, and OG/FG are correct, the abv and carbs should be the same as any other high attenuation yeast. It's been a year or so since I've read up on this topic though, so not top of mind anymore.

That is correct! You should get higher attenuation from the enzyme, therefore a drier finish (and a higher ABV). So there would be less carbs from grains, but more carbs from alcohol (which is metabolized differently than the carbs from the grains).

That is correct! You should get higher attenuation from the enzyme, therefore a drier finish (and a higher ABV). So there would be less carbs from grains, but more carbs from alcohol (which is metabolized differently than the carbs from the grains).

Not to hijack this topic, but how do I notate this in the recipe builder? To date, I've just been placing my enzyme additions in the notes section of the builder. I've been using the app on my phone to build my recipes, and have tracked my efficiency over several brews, and have retroactively adjusted my yeast attenuation to match my gravity readings. I'm just not sure this is the right way to go about it.

Furthermore, I'm in the process of scaling some recipes from my standard 6gal to 1bbl. Do enzymes scale linearly? I use AMG-300 in the mash (.25ml) and fermentor (.025ml) for my 6gal recipes. Are the projected amounts directly proportional to the original recipe?

Again, I apologize for barging in on someone else's thread, but this seems at least partially related.

Not to hijack this topic, but how do I notate this in the recipe builder? To date, I've just been placing my enzyme additions in the notes section of the builder. I've been using the app on my phone to build my recipes, and have tracked my efficiency over several brews, and have retroactively adjusted my yeast attenuation to match my gravity readings. I'm just not sure this is the right way to go about it.

Furthermore, I'm in the process of scaling some recipes from my standard 6gal to 1bbl. Do enzymes scale linearly? I use AMG-300 in the mash (.25ml) and fermentor (.025ml) for my 6gal recipes. Are the projected amounts directly proportional to the original recipe?

Again, I apologize for barging in on someone else's thread, but this seems at least partially related.
Enzyome dosage isn't super well documented or researched so I'm not sure the answer even exists beyond the manufacturers recommended dosage rate. It's really more similar to yeast pitch rate and attenuation, if you pitched a sufficient* amount of yeast/enzymes, then the recipe will attenuate as expected. If it's vastly off, then you might encounter issues, but there's a wider range of acceptable dosage.

If you're using the new phone apps, or the web recipe builder, enzymes should be available as an option for other ingredient additions. They don't currently DO anything as far as automatically adjusting the expected attenuation, which will need to be done manually, but at least that way they can be searched and tracked in your brew sessions.

Enzyome dosage isn't super well documented or researched so I'm not sure the answer even exists beyond the manufacturers recommended dosage rate. It's really more similar to yeast pitch rate and attenuation, if you pitched a sufficient* amount of yeast/enzymes, then the recipe will attenuate as expected. If it's vastly off, then you might encounter issues, but there's a wider range of acceptable dosage.

If you're using the new phone apps, or the web recipe builder, enzymes should be available as an option for other ingredient additions. They don't currently DO anything as far as automatically adjusting the expected attenuation, which will need to be done manually, but at least that way they can be searched and tracked in your brew sessions.

Thanks so much.
I do most of my stuff on the legacy app, as I've been too lazy to port my recipes over, and it's not linked to the website. Depending on my OG, .025ml AMG-300 will boost my attenuation to 84-85%. As you mention, at least I've been able to track and adjust my numbers in my brew sessions. Before I try to do a 1bbl session though, I'd like to know if I should be scaling proportionally.

Back