English Pale Ale

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It occurred to me that I've been primarily brewing with American and Pacific hops as of late, so I thought a nice English pale would be a good next brew.

Maris otter is pretty much a given, but I'm wondering if you all have anything special you add. maybe a little amber or mild too. I don't think it should be overly caramel or toffee like, so i'll probably avoid any crystal

i made a hop tea for a porter recently, which I think went really well. i'm thinking of doing that again, at least for part of the hops

any other ideas are very welcome

a small amount of munich and honey malt together really satisfies me in a pale.

i was thinking a little munich to give it an oomph. and i do love some honey malt in a wheat beer

what are you thinking, like 5-8% of each?

yeah 5 is good. last pale i did had 5% Munich(15) and 5% Honey malt.

not too familiar with aromatic malt. i want to say that it's like a maltier biscuit malt, but not sure at all

would you maybe bump up some of the specialty malts or hops to add a bit more flavor?

I did a pale ale with Maris Otter and about 8% white wheat and 4% each of Vienna and carapils. It's hopped with Simcoe and Amarrillo with US-05 yeast. I just bottled it, but it seemed like a really nice combination. I'd like to do the exact grain bill mashed a little lower for a drier malt and use some UK hops and S-04 fermented on the cool side.

thanks for all the suggestions. I think i'm going to add a little bit of aromatic and vienna to the mix.

now how about hops? i've used ekg and fuggles before, so i'd like to stay away from them.

Perle and challenger sounded interesting. Glacier too

update, going to use: (numbers are rounded for convenience)

70% Golden Promise
10% Vienna
10% Brown
5% Crystal II
5% Golden Naked Oats

And to keep with the gold theme, I decided on Kent Goldings as one of the hops.

honestly not sure about the brown or crystal. they're mainly there to darken the color, and seemed appropriate choices for an english beer. but they may be out of place, particularly the crystal

Back