electric pot

Arbe0

Premium Member
Reaction score
thinking of a small maybe 3 gallon batch recirculating electric brew pot that would mesh and boil.
120v, 20 amp outlet with ground fault.
2000 watt heating element.
using an Auber SWA 2452c PID with an SSR

What would happen if I used a 15 amp outlet with the 2000 Watt heater?

what do you think of this set up?

don't think it will work, its 16.7 Amps at full power and you will use full power more than you think with that element, you need a 20

that system will work, I built one just like it years ago but got tired of waiting for the boil and stepped up to 240v and a 5500w element, you can plug my upgraded version it into any dryer outlet, that system your looking at is probably worth it to buy one if you want to save time and not spend months building and testing your own

but I will warn you, it will take 20 to 30 minutes to boil but having a smaller volume will help that some
I would definatly change the element to a 2000w, that 1500 is junk I have both

220V is the way to go. You can get by w/ 110v but remember, when you double the voltage you quadruple the ability to heat the wort. In other words, 220v won't cut heating time in half, it will cut it to 1/4. The opposite is also true. If you go from 220v to 110v you heating time increases by a factor of four.

Hey Nosy, how about that math stuff?

GernBlanston said:
220V is the way to go. You can get by w/ 110v but remember, when you double the voltage you quadruple the ability to heat the wort. In other words, 220v won't cut heating time in half, it will cut it to 1/4. The opposite is also true. If you go from 220v to 110v you heating time increases by a factor of four.

Hey Nosy, how about that math stuff?

You do seem to be trainable.... ;-)

Back