Electric beer kettle with 3500W element

frofro

Trial Member
Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time researching on what size element to put in my kettle. Just thought I would share my setup. I have a 10 Gallon Aluminum pot with lid, a small stand I built to keep the pot off the ground, a Camco LWD 3500 watt element P/N 02523, 20 Amp double pole 240 VAC rated switch and an electrical box mounted directly to the pot. I used the basic how to found on TheElectric Brewery, under the Heating Elements tab. I ordred the 10' dryer cord from Amazon, along with the element, orings, washers, etc and bought the remaining electrical stuff at Home Depot.

I boil 6.5 gallons of wort down to 5.5 gallons (All Grain) in 1 hour. No insulation, lid off, no temp controller. The boil is a nice healthy rolling boil, but none splashes out, and it calms down in a few minutes. No scorching, no burnt flavor, no off flavors. I took before boil and after boil samples. Slightly darker after the boil, likely due to the hops and that it is a more concentrated liquid. Taste is same, except you can taste the bitterness of the hops after the boil. Also there wasn't any scale on the element afterwards, just a light creamy film which wiped off with soap and water and a dish rag.

Heat up time is excellent. With lid on, it went from 150 Degree F to 212 in 21 minutes.

It does create a fair bit of humidity in a small room though. Keeping a window open and fan to circulate it helps, but the fan should be going before you start to keep on top of it. Also a dehumifier works good to keep in under control after you are done.

Hope this helps someone who is looking to do small scale brewing!

yes this will come in handy if needed, Ive got a similar set up for my small 5 gallon batches

Attachments

• WP_20140305_001.jpg
    WP_20140305_001.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,153
  • WP_20140516_001.jpg
    WP_20140516_001.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,144
That looks awesome! Way more fancier than mine.

Back