EdWorts Bavarian Hefe

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
First Post. been using the various calculators on the site. Very helpful for a newbie.

I am planning on brewing a 1 gallon version of this recipe. I have a couple questions:
- Can I use Safale WB-06 instead of Wyeast 3068? If so should I just pitch 1/2 of the package? If there is a better yeast, let me know. At this point in my brewing career I'm not yet comfortable using liquid yeast or making a starter.
-If anyone here made this recipe, which German Wheat to use? My LBHS has Briess Red Wheat Malt and Weyermann German Light (Pale) Wheat Malt. Which is best? Just want to make sure I get the correct grain.
- Rice hulls.. I am a BIAB brewer. is rice hulls necessary? I know the recipe says "if needed". If it's necessary then I will get some.

I do not want to stray from the original recipe. If using dry yeast will make alot of difference then I'll use liquid and figure it out.
Thanks
Eddie

you didn't post a recipe to review but to answer the wheat question I personally use white wheat and flaked wheat, the flaked has more flavor, the white is the backbone

I didn't post the recipe because it's from another forum. Don't know the rules here about posting from other places.
His recipe calls for the following:
German Wheat
German Pilsner
Rice Hulls to prevent stuck mash (optional)
Hallertau for Hops
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 with starter

In the post, which is over 100 pages long, someone mentions Red Wheat Malt so I'm kind of leaning towards that but just wanted to make sure before I head to the LBHS to pick up my ingredients.
His recipe is 5.5 gallons. I'm sure he uses all of the liquid yeast but since I never used liquid yeast or made a starter I would prefer to use dry yeast if I can get the same flavor.

dry yeast is fine, just make sure you shake it well for plenty of oxygen

don't worry about rice hulls if its something you haven't done before, if your brewing in a bag you might not need them at all

red wheat has a slightly more grainy flavored than white wheat

Thanks for the replies. I am brewing in a bag. I'll also stick with German White as opposed to red.

Answer to first question: Of course you can use different yeast. Expect different results. Answer to pitch rate: Pitching a whole packet or a half-packet of the yeast will produce a different result in one gallon than pitching a whole 11 gram packet into five gallons of wort. If I were doing this as a test batch, I'd look at my pitch rate, in this case, are you using one or two packets of yeast, and scale down. German weizens typically use red yeast instead of white, there will be a slight difference, it may not be detectable. One note on scaling: It's much harder to scale liquid yeast!

Links to HomeBrewTalk are fine. We're part of the same network. I'm actually the admin over there too.

Austin said:
Links to HomeBrewTalk are fine. We're part of the same network. I'm actually the admin over there too.
Ok. Thanks. Didn't know and didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

Nosybear said:
Answer to first question: Of course you can use different yeast. Expect different results. Answer to pitch rate: Pitching a whole packet or a half-packet of the yeast will produce a different result in one gallon than pitching a whole 11 gram packet into five gallons of wort. If I were doing this as a test batch, I'd look at my pitch rate, in this case, are you using one or two packets of yeast, and scale down. German weizens typically use red yeast instead of white, there will be a slight difference, it may not be detectable. One note on scaling: It's much harder to scale liquid yeast!
To date, I've only brewed 1 gallon batches and used 1/2 half of a yeast package. I messed around with the yeast calculator here but could not figure it out.
I'll hold off on brewing Bav Hefe until I figure out the yeast.

most packets are 11 grams and 1 packet will do a 1045 to 1055 or less beer so I would think it would depend on your starting gravity, 2 to 2.5 grams for anything under 1055 would be fine

Key here is, if you intend to scale the recipe up, to emulate what you'd be doing in the scaled-up beer. That means pitching 2-3 grams of yeast from the packet rather than half. If a gallon is your default size and you've been using a half-packet, keep doing so! Just be aware that your beer will change based on pitch rate if you increase the size and don't scale up the yeast proportionally.

A note on hefeweizens: If you want strong ester or phenol flavors, those come from stressing the yeast. The pro brewers I talk with who make great hefeweizens all underpitch. Based on that, I wouldn't pitch more than two grams of yeast into a gallon of wort....

Nola_Brew said:
Austin said:
Ok. Thanks. Didn't know and didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

I really appreciate that!

Nosybear said:
Key here is, if you intend to scale the recipe up, to emulate what you'd be doing in the scaled-up beer. That means pitching 2-3 grams of yeast from the packet rather than half. If a gallon is your default size and you've been using a half-packet, keep doing so! Just be aware that your beer will change based on pitch rate if you increase the size and don't scale up the yeast proportionally.

A note on hefeweizens: If you want strong ester or phenol flavors, those come from stressing the yeast. The pro brewers I talk with who make great hefeweizens all underpitch. Based on that, I wouldn't pitch more than two grams of yeast into a gallon of wort....

I'm strictly doing 1 gallon batches at the moment with intention of increasing to 2-3 gallon batches, maybe 5 gallon if I can find a recipe my wife likes. Total of three batches so far. Two extracts and 1 BIAB. I've pitched 1/2 of the yeast packet for each. being a newbie, I probably should have only pitched a couple grams for the BIAB batch I did.
With that said, if I were to pitch 2-3 grams for a 1 gallon batch, how would I measure that since the yeast package is sanitized? Would it be just an estimate?
I've looked at the yeast pitching calculator on BF but I could not figure it out. Only played with it for a few minutes. Never could figure how much dry yeast to pitch as it seems more geared towards liquid yeast.

Back to the yeast calculator, when I enter the started OG and wort volume, the drop down box for target pitch rate provides a few options. I could never figure out how much yeast to pitch in grams. Is the calculator suppose to provide that info?
I don't want to just "estimate". I would like to get a good feel for how much yeast I need to use.

Sorry for the repeated posts.
Mrmalty.com has a yeast pitch calculator that shows how many grams of dry yeast are needed for a set number of gallons of wort.
This calculator is helpful but my question is how do I measure the amount of yeast I need since everything touching the wort at this point needs to be sanitized? I have a scale and cup I can use but the cup will be wet when sanitized and useless for dry yeast.
Probably a newbie question but I didn't see the answer anywhere I've been reading.

Nola_Brew said:
Sorry for the repeated posts.
Mrmalty.com has a yeast pitch calculator that shows how many grams of dry yeast are needed for a set number of gallons of wort.
This calculator is helpful but my question is how do I measure the amount of yeast I need since everything touching the wort at this point needs to be sanitized? I have a scale and cup I can use but the cup will be wet when sanitized and useless for dry yeast.
Probably a newbie question but I didn't see the answer anywhere I've been reading.

could you just weigh the (sanitized) cup and water (to rehydrate the yeast), zero the scale, then just add dry yeast until you hit x grams? not sure how precise your scale is, but that might work

Not planning on re-hydrating dry yeast.
guess I could weigh the packet and add some, then weight the packet and add until I hit the desired amount needed. Probably would be the best way.

ALWAYS rehydrate dried yeast! You're killing off over half of the cells if you do not.

Back