Dry Hopping - Sanitize the Measuring Vessel?

Andrew82

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post! I just put an IPA into the primary fermenter and will dry hop it next week.

I have a large amount of hop pellets and will be measuring them out for the dry hop before tossing them into the primary. When measuring the hops, should I sanitize the bowl I'll place on the scale? I just worry about the sanitizer then muddying up the pellets.

You could run it through the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle, heat dry. Or just use a clean, dry bowl. Hops are antibacterial.

When I'm concerned about that sort of thing, I'll pull off a length from a roll of aluminum foil and place it on the scale to pour the hops onto and then just crease it to pour into the fermenter. The foil is dry and not contaminated when it's fresh off the roll and as Nosy notes, hops have some slight antiseptic properties that help keep them from harboring any microbes.

Thank you for your responses! They give me a lot more confidence going towards the dry-hop stage.

I weigh out all of my hops before brew day. Brew day hops just go in zip locks. I vaccuum seal my dry hop charge(s), and put them back in the freezer until it is time. I just sanitize the bag and scissors, cut the bag open, and pour in the hops.

I have a plastic cup that gets reused without cleaning and no problems yet. If I think ahead (sometimers problem) they get vacuum packed and refrigerated all together while brewing. Then it’s just cut and pour on DH day.

I tried JA’s foil boat method yesterday and it has to be better than using that grungy cup.

Great advice, thank you! Will be doing the dry hopping this week.

I have a related question. Today I’m going to brew a brown ale and would like to use the remaining portion of an open packet of yeast.

The packet was sanitized before I used it then I dried it and put it in a new ziploc bag that’s now in my fridge. Is here a sanitary way to reuse it? Just sanitize the ziploc and pour the remaining yeast?

Also, is there a best practice for storing extra yeast in the future?

As long as it's been sealed as well as possible in it's original packet and sealed inside another bag, it should be fine for while at least. I've used leftover packets before but I usually vacuum pack and store in the freezer.

Back