Dry hopping in primary + yeast harvesting = bad??

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by sbaclimber, Oct 25, 2013.

1. sbaclimber

sbaclimber Well-Known Member

My current brew-improvement-mission is to reduce the amount of unwanted/unpredictable esters which keep occurring in by brews.
    I was recently able to effectively eliminate too high of a fermentation temperature as a cause, by buying a refrigerator. My last brew was kept at a constant 18°C for the first week of fermentation and only raised to 20°C for the last few days.
    Unfortunately, I still ended up with quite a bit more esters than I was expecting.... :(
    Remaining possible causes are under-pitching and stressed yeast.
    Considering I only use fresh yeast every 3rd brew (the other 2 are pitched using yeast harvested from the previous brew), and the esters have been occurring the strongest in the brews fermented using harvested yeast, I am fairly certain that I am at least under-pitching. The Starter Calc. here tends to back up my suspicion, though it is hard to be 100% sure, because I don't really know how much "good" yeast I am harvesting. Either way, my next step is to eliminate the possibility of under-pitching by building a stir-plate and boosting my starter by a lot.
    What I am not so sure about is.....stressed yeast. I always pitch horizontal (same OG) or up, never down. So that shouldn't be an issue, but I do dry hop in my primary (thanks to Larry for the time and effort saving tip! :) ). I recently read something *somewhere* that seemed to suggest that yeast shouldn't be harvested from anything containing non-cooked hops. Is that a real risk? ...or could it be, that I simply misunderstood and shouldn't worry?

EDIT: PS, some general background info...
    I always brew IPAs using WLP007 and primarily German Pale Ale and CaraFoam malts.
    Most of my brews are ~14-15°P OG and I normally pitch yeast into 1.5l. 9°P wort for 24hrs to make a starter.
    My last brew was a 19°P OG IIPA (slightly more % crystal malt than normal) with a 2.5l. starter, using 2nd generation harvested yeast.

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    using a bag for your hops would be better, too much hops seem to cause yest to not perform well, bad flavors can also be caused by a small infection or unsanitary washing of the yeast, drastic temperature changes or the hop trub mixed with the yeast, using aged yeast too.

also never save yeast from a beer that doesn't taste right

try changing your system up and pitching a couple dry yeast once or twice just to see if its your washing and using a bag for dry hoping

3. sbaclimber

I always use a bag for dry hopping, and filter my wort after boiling, so I don't have any trub.
    My washing process isn't exactly optimal, so that might be something...

4. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    one thing to note that hops mildew very fast, if not completely submerged under the beer can have a drastic effect on the beer and yeast

5. sbaclimber

That is good to know. I weight the bag, so it is submerged, but never really thought too much about the "why" I do it (just seemed like a good idea)...