Dry-Hopped Kettle Sour Ideas

Brewer #64893

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to brew a kettle-soured dry-hopped beer, sort of like Four Winds Nectarous or Bellwoods Jelly King (or perhaps like a non-BA Wicked Weed Amorous).

Two questions:

1) Do you think a grain bill of 50% wheat and 50% pale malt (besides the bit of acidulated) is a good idea or should I drop the wheat?

2) Ideas on whether to hop before dry-hop at all or just whirlpool? Does anybody know if such brews are hopped before dry-hop at all/to what degree?

Thanks!

not familiar with the beers you mentioned, but i think the 50/50 should be fine. personally, i haven't been impressed with acidulated malt the few times i've used it. if you're kettle souring (throwing a handful of crushed grain or yogurt into the cooled down mash), then i'd drop that out of your bill

a nearby brewery did a dry hopped sour ale recently, don't remember what kind of hops or how much. but, that beer was nice and light and refreshing, it certainly wasn't dank or anything.

fwiw, i've always liked a little bit of darker crystal or special b in my sours. i think it gives it a bit of a vinous taste alongside the clean tartness of a kettle sour. however, i am bottling a sour blonde soon, so we'll see how that turned out

Agree with JC on acidulated: Use it to control mash pH. If you are adding lactic acid, use food-grade lactic acid. The grain bill won't make a difference as far as the souring goes and the wheat may give you some additional body to make up for the dextrines the lactobacillus can digest. It will affect flavor but then, that's why we modify the grain bill. As to dry hopping, this is my personal opinion only, I'd whirlpool and I'd try to keep the bittering to a minimum. The combination of sour and bitter tastes poisonous to me and I've never had much luck with or desire for the flavor of dry hopping. But it's your beer so give it a try and good luck!

Back