Dry Hop

Hawkeye Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey I am doing my 1st brew that asks to dry hop 1 oz of Belma for 5 days. Is it OK to do this dry hop at the end of my fermentation stage. The reason I ask is brew day is today and I am leaving in the morning for a business trip for 1 1/2 weeks and was hoping I could do the dry hop when I get back and 5 days before I keg.

One more question. I did not realize the PB&J I am brewing asks for lactose. Is it a big deal if I don't use it cause I don't have any. I know it adds sweetness and body to the beer but hoping my PB2 and Grape concentrate will give it some sweetness even though the yeast will eat most if not all of it.

All the sugars will ferment out of the PB2 and grape concentrate. But don't worry, if you can get your hands on the lactose, you can add it at any time. Get some and add it at packaging to taste.

How much lactose? If you leave out an ingredient it of course makes a difference.... How much of an impact depends on how much of the recipe was influenced by that ingredient and how much of that ingredient there would have been. If its not a lot of lactose, like .5 pound, it probably won't hurt too bad.... If it was more like 2 pounds of lactose, the recipe probably was relying on it for body and your beer will be very thin.

Agree with Nosybear, get some in the next week or 2 and add it when you bottle/keg.

Getting back to the dry hopping. Will leaving the dry hop in the fermentor for 10 days develop any grassiness? Seems like most people recommend 3-5 days max. Just wondering

Back