Dry hop tea in carboy

matrixmodulator

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm really excited to brew my second batch because i will use nice water instead of my awful tasting tap water.
But i also would like to try dry hop tea in the glass carboy.
I have some small bags, biab, and a smaller one, i can put the tea in but i read you should not let it inside too long so i was wondering how you usualy do this? Seems like everyone dry hop without a bag, says to just pitch the hops inside but i can't do that with the tea... If i do this at the end of the boil i fear it will be too harsh tasting..?
Thanks a lot :)

If it is an actual tea (liquid) why would you not just pour it in? Perhaps I'm not understanding?

Last edited:
Because i was refering to dry hop with a bag like the biab and also because i saw this extremely good video but it seems she just leave them in the carboy..?

Shes dry hopping with actual tea leaves i remember that chop and brew episode seems a bit hit and miss.

Your dry hopping with hops right?

You wont taste any harshness if dry hopping for a few days maybe once fermentation is waning. Good luck.

I'm still confused about the whole tea bit. Are you dry hopping with hops? Making a hop tea with hops? Or adding tea and calling it 'hop tea'?
If you're adding hops, I'd add them straight to the carboy. You could possibly regret adding them to a bag and then trying to remove the bag from the carboy. Especially if you use whole hops. I have added hops to a carboy in a hop bag and tied it up with floss and run the floss out the top. Wasn't worth the hassle in my opinion. If you're concern is siphoning, put cloth (cheese cloth etc) around siphon tip, held in place by floss or clean rubber band.
And just putting it out there...don't use flavor floss either :D
I have no advice on using real 'tea'.

As am I.... Seems a complex procedure for a simple result. Just bag the hops, add a sanitized weight, tie off and chuck the into the fermentor x days (2-4) prior to packaging. No need for a tea or the sanitation risks.

I will use hops as usual, i just used the term "dry hop" to refer to put the tea bag in and removing it when it's enough time inside.
But yea after what you all said i think it will be simpler to just remove the beer first since i have small opening carboy, or make tea concentrate and drop it in but i was hoping to be able to take a quick taste of the beer and remove the tea bag when needed as the days pass by. Sorry i'm french maybe it's not clear hahahaha

I will use hops as usual, i just used the term "dry hop" to refer to put the tea bag in and removing it when it's enough time inside.
But yea after what you all said i think it will be simpler to just remove the beer first since i have small opening carboy, or make tea concentrate and drop it in but i was hoping to be able to take a quick taste of the beer and remove the tea bag when needed as the days pass by. Sorry i'm french maybe it's not clear hahahaha
No problem - I'm trying to learn French. You are right, it's easy to remove the beer than try to pull out the dry hops. As I said, put them in a muslin bag with a sanitized weight - glass marbles work well - stuff the entire assembly in to your carboy and wait. Siphon the beer off the yeast, trub and the hop bag when it's taken on he flavor you want.

No problem - I'm trying to learn French. You are right, it's easy to remove the beer than try to pull out the dry hops. As I said, put them in a muslin bag with a sanitized weight - glass marbles work well - stuff the entire assembly in to your carboy and wait. Siphon the beer off the yeast, trub and the hop bag when it's taken on he flavor you want.
Yeah totaly, it's just that i will have to guess when to put the tea bag inside the carboy fermenter so that it fits in time with when i will bottle lol is'nt it? Or i'm missing something? lol

Yeah totaly, it's just that i will have to guess when to put the tea bag inside the carboy fermenter so that it fits in time with when i will bottle lol is'nt it? Or i'm missing something? lol
That's right.... But a day or so more or less won't make that much of a difference. Determine when you want to package the beer then start four days earlier.

Sounds like a good plan!
There's not so much information about tea beer out there, it's surprising, at least the video i posted is really good.
It would be nice to use a pipe with small holes that fits well and that can be removed easily from the carboy head, maybe i'll diy something.
Imagine if i use some tubing, close both ends, make some holes and put the tea inside haha i could remove that easily with fishing cord tied to the top.

They do make such a thing, but none I have seen would fit in a carboy unfortunately. I know Northern Brewer makes one for their Big Mouth bubbler.
I know some folks use those stainless steel tea balls, but I don't know if they would fit in a carboy?
If you have a wine thief or a baster, you can make sure and sanitize well and sample after a few days to see if it's where you want. It will be a bit different however once carbonated, but will give you an idea. I use my auto siphon sometimes to pull a sample. I just plug the end of it with my finger after filling the tube. Works well enough.

Yea ok totaly, i'll taste a few days before bottling and check gravity at the same time.
Thanks man :)
Imagine a nice amber that tastes like the forest in winter, herbs and tea, thick feel, not spicy around 7abv :)

Sounds delicious. I love a good amber for sure!

Your avatar is outstanding man!

Yea ok totaly, i'll taste a few days before bottling and check gravity at the same time.
Thanks man :)
Imagine a nice amber that tastes like the forest in winter, herbs and tea, thick feel, not spicy around 7abv :)
I was thinking hop tea, not tea. Get a stainless steel tea ball, put your tea in it and "dry hop" with the tea. It will work just like cold-steeping the tea and shouldn't extract the tannins. Sorry for the confusion!

I was thinking hop tea, not tea. Get a stainless steel tea ball, put your tea in it and "dry hop" with the tea. It will work just like cold-steeping the tea and shouldn't extract the tannins. Sorry for the confusion!
Can't use a steel tea ball, wont fit in the carboy opening, like i said... but unless there is very small ones?

Can't use a steel tea ball, wont fit in the carboy opening, like i said... but unless there is very small ones?
I've seen them small enough to fit in a carboy. Our local homebrew shop has them. Maybe a tea shop?

Ok i will try, what is the name of your brew shop? Maybe they have a website?

Back