Dry hop suggestions for Piney-hopped IPA

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I'll be brewing an IPA for a big party and I've been wanting to do something that doubles down on the piney/dank-pot flavor and aroma that I like in the best of the Northwest beers I've tried. I think it'll benefit from a dry-hop addition of something fruity to lend some interesting complexity. It won't be a huge beer - 1.062 or so - so I don't want to overload it with monster hops or super-high IBUs
I'll be using a combo of Columbus, Chinook and Centennial, mostly late hopping with a lot going into whirlpool. I figured I'd dry hop with Centennial but I have a bunch of Azacca, as well. Recon that would add an interesting layer of flavor/aroma and help bring out the danky goodness?
I've got plenty of other hops on hand, too - Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic, Tahoma - but it seems like the Azacca would stand out in a good way.
Opinions?

Azacca is kinda like El Dorado: soft and mild and needs to be used in much greater amounts. But still quite fruity, although exhibits pine notes.

Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe, Eureka!, NZ Southern cross, NZ Waimea, AUS Topaz, AUS Ella would be some of the hops I would take a look at. Northern Brewer - an old classic hop - can also give pine, and it is cheap.

Reactions: J A
my anecdotal experience, simcoe brings the pine. Denali can bring a lot of tropical pineapple and pine needles.

I love dry hopping with simcoe and just about any c hop...cascade and chinook being favorites.

^^^ Simcoe is always a go-to for me but I'll have a Pale Ale on tap with plenty of Simcoe and Mosaic and figured I might set the IPA apart a little. I might have to sneak in a little Simcoe just because. ;)
I like the Denali suggestion. That's a hop I'd like to experiment with.
As for the Azacca needing higher quantity, I have 3 lbs...should be able to manage to get some flavor out of it. :)

That would be my 2c simcoe Mosaic or whirlpool Galaxy/ Simcoe / Chinook dry hop Mosaic/Simcoe /C hop

The tahoma might be interesting as well.if you are looking to contrast with the piney dank flavors. I would be tempted to do the dry hop as azacca and tahoma.

I would be tempted to do the dry hop as azacca and tahoma.

^^^ That definitely crossed my mind. Only thing that slows me down is that I'm sort of saving the Tahoma because I really, really like it in a Blonde. I did a single-hop with US-05 and got the nicest stone-fruit/strawberry notes from it. :)

I’ve been wondering the same thing lately JA. My first thought was Chinook. I haven’t tried Azacca. Suggestions above sound good, esp. Simcoe. Only different suggestion I can come up with is Warrior. I’ve only used it for bittering. But it might do the trick late like Vic Secret.

Only different suggestion I can come up with is Warrior.
I use some Warrior in conjunction with Columbus and Chinok for dry hops in my Black IPA. It's all pine, all the time with that hop schedule - Columbus, Chinook, Warrior, Simcoe.

For th is IPA, I ended up going with a little Warrior and Chinook at 60 for light bittering and this for the rest...
20 min - 1 oz CTZ
0 min - 2 oz each Chinook, Centennial
Whirlpool - 3 oz Chinook, 2 oz each CTZ, Centennial, Azacca
I'll sample to see what the dry hop needs to be, but 2 oz Centennial and 4 oz Azacca is the plan right now. Maybe throw in a couple ounces of CTZ as well. :)

It's a little off the wall, but Medusa and some of the other neomexicanus hops have a very dank, pot-like aroma. They can be pretty fruity too though, and may get lost behind centennial.

It's a little off the wall, but Medusa and some of the other neomexicanus hops have a very dank, pot-like aroma.
Definitely want to play around with some of the Neo hybrids. I'd really like to get some plants going. They're supposed to do pretty well in my area.

Definitely want to play around with some of the Neo hybrids. I'd really like to get some plants going. They're supposed to do pretty well in my area.
Getting a couple bines up is definitely a goal for me as well. I know cascade and nugget grow alright where I am, but I'm uncertain about the Neo types. I'm on the same latitude (roughly) as Santa Fe but have a wildly different climate.

Lattitude is where it's at when it comes to hops. My Centennials want to bloom in the spring because of the day length and then again in the fall if I can hold them through the heat and drought of August.

Back