Dry hop in primary fermentation?

Vicorminator

Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, yesterday I brew my first batch of beer. I followed recipe and everything was fine until I did a stupid mistake ( not just one but we live and learn). I put dry hops with yeast to fastfermenter. I realized that stupid mistake when I woke up. So now is question should I open fermeneter and get hops out or just wait until fermentation is complete? I used WLP001 and 3oz of citra hops in muslim bag.

I followed this recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/668605/dust-of-the-living-dead

At this point, let it ride. There are so many differing opinions about when and how to dry hop, I'm sure one of them is to put them into primary with the yeast. You'll likely get lower hop aroma - the bubbles from fermentation will scrub the flavors out of the beer - but I wouldn't muck around with fishing them out. You can always add more later, risking grassy or vegetal flavors.

I dry hop at pitch routinely. You're not going to lose anything and you'll actually gain some complexity from biotransformation (hop flavor compounds are metabolized by the yeast and transformed into fuller flavors to some extent).

Just chill. Keep it clean and not too warm and you'll have a nice beer. :)

Thank you guys for a great feedback. Ok I will keep it in fermenter. Could not wait to taste it :)

Back