Dry hop after 3 days?

pevasi

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi I found a recipe here which I brewed yesterday:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/488892/mosaic-hop-single-hop-ipa

One thing that I'm not sure about though is it says dry hopping Time 3 days. Which would mean 3 days after starting fermentation if I understand correctly? Does that seem ok as mostly I've seen people are doing it after maybe two weeks. Or is the author more likely to mean dry hop *for* 3 days?

I mean if I could dry hop this after 3-4 days of fermentation and bottle after additional 3-4 days or so that would be great.

Thanks for advice!

I think that the author means to dryhop for 3 days. However, it is becoming more common for brewers to add the dryhops during active fermentation, the idea being that there is some form of reaction between the active yeast and the hop compounds that results in either different or more stable flavours (I would have to look it up to be sure). I have tried dryhopping during fermentation and while the results were good, I can't say that I noticed much of a difference.

It means leave the dry hops in for 3 days. As for bottling, your patience will be rewarded if you allow the beer so sit and drop clear once active fermentation is complete. If you insist on bottling prematurely, make sure the gravity remains the same over a 3 day period or you may have some bottle bombs.

It does kind of depend and I've noticed that some people do one or the other. I think a 3 day dry hop though would be more than adequate for your purposes.

As Bob mentions though, if you're bottling make damned sure the fermentation is done of you could make bottle bombs, which just isn't worth shaving a day or two off.

Back