Double IPA

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by UB2, Jan 7, 2014.

1. UB2

UB2 New Member

What makes a Double IPA double? Double the fermentambles, double the hops?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    its the hops mostly, apa is milder than ipa and double ipa is the most hoppy beer

3. bilhelm96

bilhelm96 Member

There are additional fermentables too for a higher alcohol level to balance against the hops. A double IPA should still be relatively dry (FG < 1.020), so brewers tend to use some percentage of corn or cane sugar in addition to increasing the malt. All-grain brewers can also mash at a lower temp to increase fermentability

4. Steve da Sleeve

Steve da Sleeve New Member

IPAs are pretty open to interpretation, with the focus on hops. I generally distinguish the three, IPA, IIPA, and imperial IPA like this:

IPAs -> 1.055-1.070, 55-80 calculated IBUs, 4-8 oz crystal in a 5 gallon batch the rest base malt
    IIPA -> 1.075-1.085, 150+ calculated IBUs, 4-8 oz crystal in a 5 gallon batch the rest base malt
    Imperial IPA -> 1.080-1.090, 150+ calculated IBUs, 6-10 oz crystal in a 5 gallon batch + a touch of smething special (!) the rest base malt

I distinguish IIPAs from imperials by pushing the malt balance slightly forward in imperials, making these closer to a barlywine. I mash IPAs 150-156, doubles and imperials 148-152. All my IPAs these days are high alpha hops added late in the boil.

Fwiw and ymmv and wtf!

Steve da sleeve