Double IPA

UB2

Trial Member
Reaction score
What makes a Double IPA double? Double the fermentambles, double the hops?

its the hops mostly, apa is milder than ipa and double ipa is the most hoppy beer

There are additional fermentables too for a higher alcohol level to balance against the hops. A double IPA should still be relatively dry (FG < 1.020), so brewers tend to use some percentage of corn or cane sugar in addition to increasing the malt. All-grain brewers can also mash at a lower temp to increase fermentability

IPAs are pretty open to interpretation, with the focus on hops. I generally distinguish the three, IPA, IIPA, and imperial IPA like this:

IPAs -> 1.055-1.070, 55-80 calculated IBUs, 4-8 oz crystal in a 5 gallon batch the rest base malt
IIPA -> 1.075-1.085, 150+ calculated IBUs, 4-8 oz crystal in a 5 gallon batch the rest base malt
Imperial IPA -> 1.080-1.090, 150+ calculated IBUs, 6-10 oz crystal in a 5 gallon batch + a touch of smething special (!) the rest base malt

I distinguish IIPAs from imperials by pushing the malt balance slightly forward in imperials, making these closer to a barlywine. I mash IPAs 150-156, doubles and imperials 148-152. All my IPAs these days are high alpha hops added late in the boil.

Fwiw and ymmv and wtf!

Steve da sleeve

Back