Does (vortex) size matter?

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably a completely n00b question, but I will pose it anyway...
Will too small of a stir-bar (and the vortex it produces) negatively affect my starter efficiency?

I recently built a stir plate using a computer fan and magnet out of an old HDD (as shown on Youtube).
My 2l. Erlenmeyer flask and stir-bar (~1") arrived yesterday. Of course I tested my homemade stir plate right away and was stoked to see it works like a charm.
The only thing that I am a bit worried about, is that I didn't get a full vortex like I have seen in all the demonstration videos. The vortex remained only 1-2" deep.
Should I be worried that the liquid won't be stirred enough, or is it okay the way it is?

A vortex isn't necessary. The main thing with a stir plate starter is to move the yeast so they can pick up oxygen from the surface.

Brian

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply.
Can't wait to make my first stir plate starter on Friday. :cool:

I have used a 1" on a very large diameter container, and while it did not create much of a vortex, it kept the wort moving enough that the yeast grew like crazy, was awesome to watch. So long story short, size doesnt matter. :D

yeast fall to the bottom as stated before me stir bar will mix the yeast up and send it upward, the vortex pulls down oxygen and keeps the yeast alive, the oxygen doesn't need to reach the bottom and unless you doing a 4 day starter not really a big deal but it helps

Back