DMS yuck

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have stuck with ales in my early brewing career. I think I have 8 all grain under my belt. I brewed a weissbeir and kegged it on Saturday. I thought the wort tasted fine (a little sulfur) and I tasted it again after the secondary no sulfur. I cold crashed it in the secondary for three days at 35. I kegged and force carbed it on Saturday and got a taste on Sunday and it tasted horribly of canned corn and cabbage. Couldn't get the taste out of my mouth all afternoon. Did I just not boil it hard enough?

That is usually the culprit. Or not chilling it fast enough... Especially if you chill or boil your wort with the lid on the kettle, the steam condenses and drops back into the wort bringing the dms back. The other possibility is certain infection microbes can produce dms.

I do vigorous 90 minute boil for just about every beer because I don't want to take the chance. I use a lot of Pilsner in most beers. Plenty of folks swear that with well-modified malts, a good 60-minute boil is sufficient, but I just don't want to worry about it. Never had a problem yet.

Yep that sux cant say ive got no dms before in my lagers but nonr with in ya face corn cabbage. I think DMS is a once its in there its.in there kinda thing but id lager it some and hope she clears up some.

This is the kit

https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-BavarianHefeweizen.pdf

I tried some multi step infusion tactic I found in another hef recipe but I don't think I got it right. I did boil with the lid off for 60 minutes but maybe not vigorous enough. I think I'll try to simplify my brew day next time. I'm looking for a Hefeweizen going toward clove flavors and less toward banana. Anyone have a recipe to recommend?

Scott

Last edited:
This is the kit

https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-BavarianHefeweizen.pdf

I tried some multi step infusion tactic I found in another hef recipe but I don't think I got it right. I did boil with the lid off for 60 minutes but maybe not vigorous enough. I think I'll try to simplify my brew day next time. I'm looking for a Hefeweizen going toward clove flavors and less toward banana. Anyone have a recipe to recommend?

Scott

You could try a feulic acid rest for 10 minutes, and choose a yeast strain that is noted to have more phenols than esters and that would make a big difference in the balance of the beer. Also, generally you would want to ferment at a lower temperature than if you wanted more esters (fruitiness).

Thank you,

I fermented at 64. Is there a dry yeast that fits the profile you described? I'm quite new to German styles but I want a few on my brewing cycle

Fermetis 34/70 is your german lager loving friend;). A forgiving yeast ferments clean warm 18c and cool 12c.

I'm looking for a Hefeweizen going toward clove flavors and less toward banana.
Consider a Belgian Witbier yeast instead of a German Hefe strain. There's a lot of similarities but the wit strains seem to be more prone to giving spice notes rather than a lot of banana. That being said, most of those yeasts will respond well to temperature with lower temps (60-64, maybe) being good for clove-y phenols and higher (68 or more) being good for banana and bubble-gum esters.
Mangrove Jack M-21 is a dry yeast that I'm fermenting with right now. Even at higher temps and even though the early airlock aroma was a very lovely banana-bread, it's showing a perfect spicy-clove flavor profile.

^^^Ditto that. Back to the OP question: DMS - the creamed-corn flavor you mention - is usually a product of the boil, has little to do with yeast. Some lager strains can leave a sulfur smell but that's different than what you describe. You either didn't boil long enough - a possibility with a high percentage of pilsner malt in the mix - or you covered or otherwise had condensate from the boil dripping back into the kettle - or you didn't boil vigorously enough. Look at your notes or process and see if either of those were the case. And by the way, the arrows were two posts up.

Thanks everyone. I have to put a new top on my little S2000 this weekend but I'll be looking for a Hefeweizen for the following weekend.

Thanks so much for these. The ones I read were full of doom lol.

Truth is I was gooig to throw it out but after another week in the keg it has mellowed and is drinkable.

Still a bit veggy but not as bad and there is a bit of cotton Candy coming out. I'll try again this weekend.

Scott

Back