Differences between estimated PH from beer color vs malt bill

El Mason

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i cant understand why a have a breach on estimated mash PH of 0.5 between the two methods in grist info ( Based on beer color, and based on malt bill)

i dont know what am i missing, if someone could help me understand this, will appreciate it!

i leave two screenshots for illustrate the question.

Thanks in advance!

oatmeal Stout-congranos.png

oatmeal-stout-concolorsrm.png

@avantassel can you help with this? I noticed that there is a comma for the decimal in the mash pH and grist weight, per the European way, with a red box around it. Could that be the error?

the question is not related with that red box. i use Chrome for use the Water calc, but i made the screenshot with Firefox, who has a nice functionality for select an screen area and take a shot.

still with Chrome i get a difference.

Remember that malt color will always be a less accurate way to guess the projected mash pH because color doesn’t always correspond to the malt type. MOST roasted malts are very dark (but not all) while MOST crystal malts are lighter (but not all) so that does make a difference.

the question is not related with that red box. i use Chrome for use the Water calc, but i made the screenshot with Firefox, who has a nice functionality for select an screen area and take a shot.

still with Chrome i get a difference.

Well, if it is red that does mean a problem.
Could be very minor, of course. But it’s hard to say without knowing the recipe and the statistics and why it turns red for you.

Well, if it is red that does mean a problem.
Could be very minor, of course. But it’s hard to say without knowing the recipe and the statistics and why it turns red for you.
Okay, I find the calculations in the water calculator to be accurate to about +/- 0.04 points of pH. That's pretty danged good, considering the variability of water supply.

Back