Decoction Mash Helper.

TheZel66

Trial Member
Reaction score
How much to use in decoction based on current mash volume and temp, and next step temp would be AWESOME!!

We don't currently support decoction but we are open to supporting it. Is there an existing calculator out there you like to use for this?

I think How To Brew has a formula.

The problem with some of the formulae out there is that they want you to know the exact thickness of the decoction. This is a bit difficult to estimate correctly.

On the other hand, there are so many factors that are not accounted for like temp drop in the mash tun during decoction or evaporation of the decoction. As a result I recommend using the simple formula, the one that only needs volumes and temps, and add 10-20% to the calculated volume. Then add the decoction back in stages while checking the temp. Once reached let the remainder cool a bit and then add it.

I think the decoction tool should support such a factor for increasing the decoction size.

Kai

Would really appreciate a decoction calculator. Beersmith has one and since I'm really in to doing decoction mashes, I am tempted to jump ship.. Anyway, please update on current status or whether this is still under consideration. Thanks! :roll:

Back