DDH IPA?

Tropical flavors in a red IPA sounds a little off-putting to me. Just my 2 cents tho, do whatever you want
Too late...Anyone got a recommendation?

"Similar to an American IPA, but with medium or dark crystal malts, possibly some character malts with a light toasty aspect. May use sugar adjuncts. American or New World finishing hops with tropical, fruity, citrusy, piney, berry, or melon aspects."

Too late...Anyone got a recommendation?

"Similar to an American IPA, but with medium or dark crystal malts, possibly some character malts with a light toasty aspect. May use sugar adjuncts. American or New World finishing hops with tropical, fruity, citrusy, piney, berry, or melon aspects."
But that's the point of biotransformation with thiol-transforming yeast, right? The tropical flavor and aroma?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/788953/red-ipa

Should I consider adding half of the dry hops during the fermentation? The yeast is reported to have good bio transformation abilities.

It's a smaller batch size so this would be the equivalent of splitting 6 oz of dry hops in two additions for a 5 gallon batch.
I read a recommendation (can’t remember where, but it was a credible source) to add 1/4 to 1/3 of your dry hops during fermentation and the remainder late, like 3 days before packaging) I tried it and it worked well, but I’m not It sure if you could detect a difference if you did 50/50.

Yeah I'd add the first Dry hop at high krausen day 2 then the following DH a few points from FG or when signs of yeast activity slowing.
Whole reason is O2 mitigation...

I rarely have double dry hopped but when I have that's how I run with it.

My Yaki Dah recent hoppy pils brew I added the DH with the yeast pitch going on hop haze info of early hop additions having less haze impact opposed to late DRY hops days 4 onwards contributing more haze.
Might be worth keeping that in mind depending on how hazy you want this Red IPA if clearer opposed to hazy then hop that beer earlier.

Yeah I'd add the first Dry hop at high krausen day 2 then the following DH a few points from FG or when signs of yeast activity slowing.
Whole reason is O2 mitigation...

I rarely have double dry hopped but when I have that's how I run with it.

My Yaki Dah recent hoppy pils brew I added the DH with the yeast pitch going on hop haze info of early hop additions having less haze impact opposed to late DRY hops days 4 onwards contributing more haze.
Might be worth keeping that in mind depending on how hazy you want this Red IPA if clearer opposed to hazy then hop that beer earlier.
I'm actually going for a clear beer. I think a hazy red beer will look just horrible and I didn't design the grist with that goal.

I ended up adding the MB and HB yesterday which is about 3 days in and will add the mosaic as it's finishing up. I will be cold crashing for a few days and fining with gelatin. I have never used this yeast before but selected it primarily to get some esters to boost the hop character.

Last edited:
I'm actually going for a clear beer. I think a hazy red beer will look just horrible and I didn't design the grist with that goal.

I ended up adding the MB and HB yesterday which is about 3 days in and will add the mosaic as it's finishing up. I will be cold crashing for a few days and fining with gelatin. I have never used this yeast before but selected it primarily to get some esters to boost the hop character.
Sounds like a winner I love Mosaic. Interesting pairing with Mandarina Bavaria I hope it comes out clear for you :).

Took a hydrometer reading tonight that’s reading 1.012 for a 8.5% beer. Exploding with hop character likely boosted from yeast esters. Will be crashing at 30F for a couple of days then fined with gelatin for a couple more before packaging.

Bottled this last night. Seems like a bad recipe design. It's funny because until I make a mistake it seems like such a great idea. Time will tell...

What exactly didn't you like about this?
It's pretty muddy overall. Overly malty and not bitter enough. The cold crash and gelatin fining seemed to not have any impact on flocculation so I'm worried it's going to have a bad appearance as well. Seems with a lack of bitterness and super fruity character that the hops may clash as well. Sunfire may have nailed that in his comments. Overall, I'm guessing I used too much munich, didn't aim for a high enough IBU estimate, and may have made an error with yeast/hop selection.

We'll see. I'll update...

It's pretty muddy overall. Overly malty and not bitter enough. The cold crash and gelatin fining seemed to not have any impact on flocculation so I'm worried it's going to have a bad appearance as well. Seems with a lack of bitterness and super fruity character that the hops may clash as well. Sunfire may have nailed that in his comments. Overall, I'm guessing I used too much munich, didn't aim for a high enough IBU estimate, and may have made an error with yeast/hop selection.

We'll see. I'll update...
High carbonation will help too.

Back