Data Point on Hop utilization

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So here's the recipe that got me going on whirlpool hop utilization:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/656025/house-ipa-1
I wanted to check the finished beer against a known quantity and Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is in the same range so I picked up a bomber. Torpedo is a go-to for me so it's not a hardship to have one around to drink. :)

After a very un-scientific comparison regimen I'm able to report that my 20 minute whirlpool at 180 probably did not deliver the 4% utilization that I guessed at. Even with flameout hops (in fact, all the hops) left in for whirlpoool and a substantial addition at 180 degrees, the projected 65 IBUs didn't seem quite as hoppy as the Torpedo. And this is a beer that's a full percentage point lower in ABV than the Torpedo. I estimate the IBUs for my batch at around 60 rather than 65, maybe a little lower. It's noticeably, but not substantially less bitter so it's not too far over the threshold of perceptible difference.

Fun Fact: I have 2 kegs of a coincidentally nearly dead-on Torpedo clone. :) Even though the malt bill is different and the hops are different, the flavor, color and aroma of the 2 beers is astoundingly, confusingly similar. I'm not certain that it would pass a triangle test, but seriously, it would stand a chance. :D

Nice job. I copied that one. Couple of observations. Sierra Nevada has access to whole cone hops in quantity and quality that we could only dream of. They also have equipment that can extract flavors from hops that we could only dream of. Having done the brewery tour a couple of times I can tell you that it is pretty impressive. And the new brewery is even more impressive I hear. I have been experimenting with whirlpool hops lately but whirlpooling with a big spoon is tiring and risky contamination wise.

Sierra Nevada has access to whole cone hops in quantity and quality that we could only dream of. They also have equipment that can extract flavors from hops that we could only dream of.
That's what's funny about this beer...it's nowhere near a clone recipe using totally different hops and malt, but it's incredibly similar. I don't think I could get this close if I actually tried. Total accident...but I don't mind it all. :)

Ive found that in my brews the 212f to late whirlpool doesn't add bitterness at all but at the same time I have a - alkaline value after the acid I use so thats part of it

Reactions: J A

Back