Dark with a golden hue?

AsharaDayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to brew a dark, golden, IPA.

Actually, ideally it would be a dark IPA with gold flakes/glitter. But I'm only equipped for bottling and I can't think of any way glitter would be compatible with that. Except if there is some magical glitter that will remain in suspension...

So next best thing would be to tease out a golden hue from the grains. Does that seem possible and how would one best go about it in a extract+steeping grains setup?
Or is there some food coloring that might help?

There was a thread on here a while ago about glitter beer, so there's some food grade stuff you can find out there

Im not sure you can get a gold and dark color to your beer naturally. Seems like the gold would be way overpowered by the darker malts

Thanks J, it doesn't look practical for bottled beers, but maybe I can give it a try.

I guess you're right. Unless there's something in there to throw off a reflection, it'd be difficult to get a bright hue out of a dark beer.

Ah well.

Not sure how much the glitter is, but it could be worth a little experiment.
If you can cold crash prior to bottling you might be able to reduce the amount bits that transfer over to the bottle. You'd still get some gunk at the bottom of the bottle, but you'd still be able to swirl it before pouring

The only way I can think of this working would be to add the glitter to each pour. I'm not sure where/how you're intending to serve this, but adding a small amount of the glitter to the glass just before you pour could potentially work.

Back