Dark Walnut Porter

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
A local brewery (Raised Grain Brewing) has an awesome Belgian Stout called Black Walnut. I don't want to clone this beer but rather create a porter version of it. So, I created this recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1244597/dark-walnut-porter. I want to have the full flavor of a porter but with a distinct Belgian flavor. I don't want it to be too dry so, I am flip-flopping on leaving out the Belgian Candy Syrup. Let me know what you think of the recipe. This is the first recipe I've created from scratch.

I’ve never had Black Walnut, nor have I ever had a Belgian Stout or Porter (that I can remember). So what follows is probably not worth much. :)

If this is to be a Belgian inspired Porter than I think the first thing you need is a flavorful Belgian yeast. I’ve never heard of crossmyloof Belgian yeast, but if it’s as goofy as it’s name, then I’m all for it! Check.
Also, I would definitely consider some Special B for chewiness and maybe some deep, dark crystal for a good dose of caramel and dark fruit. I see you have the Special B already.
And the dark candi sugar is just so Belgiany, I think you have to leave it in.

I think your recipe looks great but if I had to nit-pick, I’d probably ditch the Roasted Barley, add some appropriate dark crystal, and maybe bump the chocolate if you needed some more color.

Whatever path you take, I do hope you decide to brew it. It’s an extremely interesting idea…Belgian Porter. I will definitely be following along.

Good luck!

agree with @Megary , I would ditch the roasted barely. replace it with some black malt. 500 Lovi.

my personal feeling a porter should be a little sweet, so watch the candi suyrup, as you mentioned, it will dry it out too much.

And the dark candi sugar is just so Belgiany, I think you have to leave it in.
I originally left it out, but it just didn't feel right, so I added it back in.

There's a lot going on there. Is it just called black walnut but no walnut is actually harmed in the making of the beer?
Correct, no actual walnuts involved. The brewery doesn't mention including walnuts so I'm assuming the name is a reference to the color of a Black Walnut.

If this is to be a Belgian inspired Porter than I think the first thing you need is a flavorful Belgian yeast. I’ve never heard of crossmyloof Belgian yeast, but if it’s as goofy as it’s name, then I’m all for it!
@AHarper uses this yeast. So if it's good enough for Alan, it's good enough for me! :)

A local brewery (Raised Grain Brewing) has an awesome Belgian Stout called Black Walnut. I don't want to clone this beer but rather create a porter version of it. So, I created this recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1244597/dark-walnut-porter. I want to have the full flavor of a porter but with a distinct Belgian flavor. I don't want it to be too dry so, I am flip-flopping on leaving out the Belgian Candy Syrup. Let me know what you think of the recipe. This is the first recipe I've created from scratch.

I like the sound of it. It looks nice and tasty to me. How will you get through 7 gallons of it though? Do you need a hand?
It certainly is Belgian. The only thing I would suggest is an equal amount of rice hulls to Wheat malt to avoid a stuck sparge.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I don't need a hand drinking it, but it would be awesome to share a pint with you guys! So, stop by anytime.

Back