Dark Saison

Homebrew Fanatics

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to brew a style like this?

I just posted up a Dark Saison recipe. Kept it relatively simple with some Midnight Wheat for colour.

If anyone has any thoughts on a recipe like this let me know

Cheers!

Interested to hear how this one works out.
Can't help out much apart from saying the recipe looks good to me, I am working on my first Saison recipe, can't wait to make it.
I read the Maltose Falcon post which made me a lot more confident that I wouldn't have it in one of my fermentors for months.
How long do they take from Grain to Glass? I heard they can benefit from 3 months conditioning?

Has anyone attempted to brew a style like this?

I just posted up a Dark Saison recipe. Kept it relatively simple with some Midnight Wheat for colour.

If anyone has any thoughts on a recipe like this let me know

Cheers!

I have experimented with Saison yeast brewing big dark beers that are sort of a Belgian barleywine or strong ale cross over. I put in plenty of hops and starting gravity can be as high as you want. One came out 14.5%abv. Saison yeast will eat anything right down there to single digits. Too much crystal malt is off but a little roasted barley actually works with strong hop flavor. A darker example I have is over 18 months old and gets better all the time. The barleywine type grain bill I Brewed in January is just starting to blend together. When young the flavors stand against each other but with age they start to be more of a smooth mixing of flavors. Kind of hard to explain but it needs to mature I guess would be the term. On the other end a crisp clean fruit saison starts tasting old after a year or so. Hope this helps. Cheers

Might I suggest maybe
4% caramunich
maybe a kiss (2% each) of special B and Belgium chocolate malt ..
Should bump up the complexity with out a load of roast character.
I don't want muddy the bill to much but, I really love golden naked oats (up to 5%) to add great body as well

Should be a great beer regardless !!!!

Might I suggest maybe
4% caramunich
maybe a kiss (2% each) of special B and Belgium chocolate malt ..
Should bump up the complexity with out a load of roast character.
I don't want muddy the bill to much but, I really love golden naked oats (up to 5%) to add great body as well

Should be a great beer regardless !!!!
Good suggestions, A little of any flavor will go a long way as the sugars are chewed up by the yeast.

My only other suggestion would be with the hops... hallertau my not have enough power for this brew .. might go with horizon or Columbus at 60 then glacier at KO for a quick steep at 180f (83c) for 15 mins. Horizon and glacier both are of the low cohumulone variety with balanced and smooth bitterness ... horizon slightly citrus and glacier has aroma notes of plum blackberry and cedar all which I feel complementary to the beer your after

Prost!!

Saison yeast will eat anything right down there to single digits.

Yep I got 92% attenuation out of my Big Brew saison and have it still going in its third week with a 1.103 barleywine.

Back