6 LB of Cherry Puree in the secondary fermentor

2.25 oz Perle (60 minute boil)

I start with Reverse Osmosis water and looking for the following water profile:
upload_2020-6-22_11-52-1.png

Here are my additions:
upload_2020-6-22_11-55-2.png

And my Results:
upload_2020-6-22_11-56-2.png

I am WAY off on the HCO portion of the water profile, Is there any way to correct the problem? Is it worth correcting the problem? As you may be able to tell, I do not brew stouts very often.

Any recommendations welcome.

I haven't worried about HCO3 before, just the pH. I'd drop the chalk and baking soda and increase the slaked lime until you get your pH to around 4.6.

I find the dark beers often overwhelm the salt additions that are mainly flavour (though enough gypsum comes through), so I really only put in a bit of calcium for the enzymes and then as little as possible to get the pH in range.

Thank you Mark. And thank you to the person who made the recipe edits, a simple solution is better.

Here are the edited additions - The new additions give a mash pH of 5.4

Open to recommendations as I am not brewing until July 4th.

upload_2020-6-22_19-40-9.png

Hi!
I haven't worried about HCO3 before, just the pH. I'd drop the chalk and baking soda and increase the slaked lime until you get your pH to around 4.6.

I find the dark beers often overwhelm the salt additions that are mainly flavour (though enough gypsum comes through), so I really only put in a bit of calcium for the enzymes and then as little as possible to get the pH in range.

You meant 5.6, right? NOT 4.6!

Back