Dark ale

Soly

Trial Member
Reaction score
Thisbwould be the 1st recipe I try n formulate. Im new at this, be nice to this gal. I want a dark/black ale thats well balanced not to sweet, hoppy or malty. I had a awsome black ale in MN on a trip and have been trying to find a recipe that would come close to it. Any help is apreciated...

Dark Ale
BIAB 3G
60boil

5.5 Maris Otter
.5lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Pale Chocolate
4.5oz Dark Crystal 80L
4oz Carafa II
8oz Flaked oats
Mash at 154° 90min / mash out 10 min at 170°
Hops: .5oz Columbia 60min
.5oz Willamette 5min
Wy scotish ale 2 weeks in prime 74°/2 weeks sec

That should be both dark and an ale. Where did the SRM wind up?

The yeast you picked is good for heavy, sweet beers. You might reconsider to a dryer yeast such as one of the British yeasts if you want something more balanced.

I think your Willamette flavor addition will get completely lost. Use a full ounce at 60 for a nice smooth bitter, maybe, and you could keep your Columbus as a flavor addition. I did something sort of similar with Willamette and Chinook that had a really nice hop presence.
I'd consider going full English on something like this and look at Admiral or Golding. I did an extract amber (fairly dark) with UK Phoenix that turned out quite nice. That's a hop that's not used a lot, but I think it might be perfect for something like this.
And that's really a lot of dark roast stuff. Might consider dropping half of the Pale Chocolate or the Carafa II. I've built recipes based on color using roasted grains and had the beer turn out being more roasty than I wanted. That will fade with time and meld, but it's possible to get too much of a good thing. :)

Looks like an oatmeal stout, smooth with a robust balanced palate. Agree with Nosy about the yeast BUT at 74 degrees it will be very active and a full smack pack in 3g it will finish out quite well. May be some yeast flavors to let blend out but that yeast cleans out pretty well.

Back