Cornelius keg question

Bowhunter64

Premium Member
Reaction score
My brother in law ( bless his heart) picked up a keg at a garage sale for $2 whoever had it had installed small pioneer couplers on it and used it for some kind of petroleum storage tank! Is there any way I can clean it out to use it for beer and convert this keg to ball lock seeing how its a low pro Cornelius and not a Firestone or other brand?

Phosphate-Free TSP and Oxyclean should be able to get it clean.

I have no idea on the post conversions, though.

I'm not sure I would convert it back for foodstuffs, but this is totally a personal call. The way I see it, stainless has many many surface imperfections where previously stored things can accumulate and become very difficult to remove. It's not like a blade or a tool passing through your food, it's a storage container where beer will sit for long lengths of time. Generally I consider my equipment to be "superficially" clean and sanitized... absolutely not sterile (impractical in the home).

Anyway, as far as if it's possible, as long as the post threading cut into the keg itself wasn't stripped or widened during the conversion, should be possible to remove those posts and replace them with locks like any other conversion.

Good luck.

I have really avoid converting anything to use for my beer. It's has been a difficult and tough job, and thus I don't have any experience for that. I do use the wine chillers to do favor for my beers & wine.

Back