Coriander: Tincture vs Boil

White Haus Brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit last Saturday but forgot I still needed to get the coriander and orange zest which I was planning on adding to the boil (perhaps I shall name the beer DimWit)...

For the zest I made a quick tincture with vodka which I will plan to add in when I bottle. For the coriander I've read somewhere that you should always add it to the boil as you'll get a noticeably different flavor than when you make a tincture with it.

I feel like my options at this point would be to bring up a pint or so of water to boil on the stove with the coriander for 5-10min, or just go for the tincture. Anyone have experience using one, the other, or both?

you could possibly boil it in a tiny bit of water just to sanitize, and then strain off the water and add the coriander to the batch

Easier to add it to the boil, but I've made a tincture of orange extract, vodka and coriander and it worked very well.

You'll usually get better flavor out of it if you toast it a bit and crack (rough grind) before adding. That's my experience anyway.
Yup. Just put in a frying pan over low heat for a bit. No oil or anything. Give it a shake every so often. Shouldn't take more than a minute or 3

If you bottle then you could boil the coriander with your priming solution, although doing a tincture or soing a boil in a small amount of water would allow you to add it to taste at bottling (or keging) time

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I'll dry fry, crack, and throw it in my orange zest tincture I have going then add at bottling time to taste.

Back