Cooked Corn Aroma

DanC

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Last Friday I brewed and amber ale. I collected too much running so I boiled for 75 minutes to get rid of some of the excess liquid. Everything went normally, at least for me. I use an immersion chiller with a pre-chiller and cooled the wort to pitching temperatures within 30 minutes. I had forgotten to do a yeast starter so I pitched a slurry I had saved. Put the beer in a controlled temperature of 66 F. At 24 hours no activity was observed. At 48 hours some fermentation was observed noting some krausen was forming. At 72 hours airlock was operating. Within another 24 hours the fermentation was so aggressive the airlock blew off the carboy. I stuck my head in the fermentation chamber and noticed a really bad cooked corn smell. After a little studying I have concluded that DMS is the culprit.

My question is will this beer be drinkable with age or is it my first dump down the drain?

You'll be fine. In fact, it's good that your beer is giving off its DMS (Dimethyl sulfide, the chemical you're smelling) now. That means you shouldn't taste it once the beer has finished.

Thanks Nosybear. The beer will be sitting in the fermenter another couple weeks. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Even if you do have the taste in your bottled beer, this will fade with time. I had this using 6row malt and flaked maize.. the residual yeast in the bottle will eat it up.

Back