Convert biab to All Grain

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
l have looked a bit for this but only fine links to convert all grain to biab. I found a biab recipe I want to brew as all grain, is there anything that should be change or should I run it through a recipe builder and August till it hits the OG/FG

You can't run the formula in reverse?

If not, I'd do what you said. You'd probably have to tweak it anyway for your system to hit those numbers, BIAB or not.

The ratios of the grist shouldn't change. Your efficiency might mean you'd use a little less grain. Based on the AA of your hops vs the recipe, you'd have to adjust those to get the same IBU

Also, can you provide that formula you found? Curious about it

the only thing that changes really is the water amounts and efficiency, I would add it to the recipe builder for sure just to check those stats

I was just about to recommend trialben, I believe he did that.

This is the one I want to try, I think one or both of you may have brewed this in the past. If so how did it turn out?It is Stone and Wood Pale Ale from Australia https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/469770/s-w-summer-ale
Well first off I'm stoked your going to brew one of my recipes cheers mate:D!
I tweeked that recipe at a local hombrew comp so as far as I know it's pretty close to Byron Bays Stone and Wood summer ale. Next time I brew this I'll brew with A Chico yeast strain and add a hop stand instead of flame out addition (chill to 80c and let hops steep at this temp for 15min) then continue to chill from there.
From tasting the real deal I don't find the hops too loud just present but not overly overwhelming the mouthfeel is fairly light bodied and finishes crisp and of course plenty hazy on appearance with nice tight white foamy head from plenty wheat.

I just looked back at my notes on that brew I hit 79% efficiently OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.010.
It's a lovely beer anything with Galaxy hops in it tastes tops to me.
Good luck and be sure to ask any questions and be sure to flick a pic of your brew once in the glass;).

Trailben I didn't realize this was yours! I will definitely ask all kinds of questions when I get this one going.
I'm lucky enough to have found one of the brewshops in Vancouver (closest city to me) carries Coopers yeast!

(How long did you ferment it for?)

Last edited:
I'll flick me brew log up for ya. I also created a thread on here in brewing recipes section.
image.png

Thanks TB that makes it so much easier for a rookie like me.

Thanks TB that makes it so much easier for a rookie like me.
Well as you see by my brew log i didnt quite hit my numbers that day with this brew but it still turned out real tasty.

OMG!!!!
Ok this is the best beer I have brewed so far!! 15 days in the bottle and I don't think this will last more than 10 days, less if my buddies find out about it!! @Trialben you are so right about the Galaxy hops....... I might use a bit more next time and there will be a next time very soon!
Have only tried 2 (650ml) bottles so far (and it will only get better) would like it to be a bit more cloudy, but that is another post (along with how much more hops to d add) but for now........................WOW!
2.jpg
1.jpg

Pile em in there vallka pile em in late whirlpool hop stand dry hop just get em in there and ENJOY! I tried this with equinox hops both big tropical fruit hops and absolutely loved it. The beer looks great! Yes not as hazy as the real deal but as long as the flavour is there thats all that matters. Now what about the mouthfeel and body of the beer? Its not light and watery? Has it got a good body to it to hold up them hops? Does she finnish clean? Cheers vallka glad your enjoying it:p.

Back