Contaminated beer?

Odie

Trial Member
Reaction score
There's a dark band of liquid on top of my secondary fermenter. I brewed an all grain kit of Cologne Kolsch, it's been in a secondary fermenter for about 10 days and there's a dark band (approx 3/4") at the top. The rest of the batch is a lighter tan color. Any explanation other than contamination? It's the first time I've brewed this style so I don't know what's normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 884
Could you post a pic?

Style has nothing to do with it. Could it be that the yeast is dropping out and the top band is clearer beer, and the lower strata still has yeast in suspension, causing it to appear lighter?

First guess is you're seeing floculating yeast settling out of the beer, normal and desirable but I agree with Gern: A pic would help.

Thanks for your comments. I've added a picture to the post. That would be great if it was just yeast in suspension.

just a note Ive even had brain looking white layer on top and the beer tasted great , only way to tell is a quick taste, you'll know if its bad and usually not

That, sir, looks like floculation to me. Yeast is settling out, it's work done, looking forward to a long nap at the bottom of the carboy. If you can chill the beer, the process will happen more quickly and you'll have clear beer in a couple days. For a Kolsch, if you can cold-condition it for a couple weeks (or longer) below 40 degrees, it'll help, too.

The thing that bothers me most about your photo is the head space you left. If you start with a 6 gallon rack to a 5 gallon you don't want a lot of air like that in there, that is asking for trouble. Like others have said though, taste it, if its ok leave it alone. I would look for a 5 gallon though and rack it again if it was me.

Back