cold crashing bottle bombs?

Should I cold crash the bottles

• Total voters

divoc 91

Trial Member
Reaction score
My 3rd brew after 2 great brews I have noticed something a little scary, I may have some bottle bombs on my hands.

I bottled 2 days ago a NEIPA 10.066 OG 10.010 FG but I bottled after only 11 days as the acivity was low and the color started to clear, and to have some brews for Fathers day. I used WLP067 coastal Haze yeast

I bottled 4.25 Gallons total with 4.5 oz corn surgar and my fermcontrolled temp ended at 72f
3 Gallons into pet plastic bottles, thank god, and 1.25 gallons in swingtop glass bottles from dollar store.

usually my beers in the pet bottles take 10 days to decently carb up. at 24 hours after bottling I notice they were super firm so I opened one of the glass bottles and it was carbed up and tasted great. now it is 48 hours after bottling and I am afraid of the glass swing tops blowing up in my hand or something. the pet plastic bottles are more firm than my previous batches and it has been so little time I think I bottled too early.

My question is should I throw the glass ones in the fridge to cold crash and stop the fermentation that is still going on?
in theory if the carbonation is at desired levels "even in just 48 hours" I should put the beers in the fridge to store and bottle condition while cold. do people with kegs cold crash and keep at serving temps while keg conditioning?

so should I put the glass bottles in the fridge, should I put all the bottles in the fridge? or wait to I see one blown up.

If anyone wants to try a Hazy or NEIPA here is my recipe that taste like mango juice

BIAB in 10 gal pot. 152 mash temp
7lbs marris otter
6lbs 2 row
1lb flaked oats
1lbs white wheat

1oz citra first wort
3oz citra 180 degree whirlpool after boil
2 oz Eldorado at peak fermentation or 48 hous after pitch

"I will additional Dry hops at day 3 next batch"

grain to glass in 15 days, I am sure it will get better with age, most the brew was bottled in plastic pet bottles which I squeezed while capping to get the O2 out. I think I am going to put the glass in the fridge tomorrow so they don't blow. I believe the final gravity was still going down below 10.10 and that is why they carbed so fast. hard to repeat this quick carb method without an accident, but this brew is a tasty SOB

Attachments

• neipa day 2.jpg
    neipa day 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 88
I would definitely cool them. Or put them in a picnic cooler to contain them if they break.

Swing top bottles from the dollar store are almost certainly not designed to hold carbonating pressure so yes, getting them into the fridge ASAP would be a good idea. Once cold, you may want to vent the excess pressure from the bottles. With the swing top bottles this can (at least in my experience) be done by opening and recapping them as fast as you can.

Rushing a beer is seldom rewarded. Do whatever you need to be safe and keep those around you safe. I'd vent the swing tops and then put them in a safe place. Maybe an ice chest.

Back