Coffee Brown Ale Feedback

Your saying that the Brown Malt is actually going to be Aromatic and the Caramunich II is CaraGold? I love brown malt in a brown ale so I would consider using it.

My thought is to remove the oats at that small of an amount because they won't do anything. Keep it simple whenever you can...

You mention you want some sweetness so I would decrease the IBUs to the mid 20s and remove all hop additions other than the bittering.

Just my opinions...

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the response! I'd really prefer to use brown, but my LHBS doesn't carry it :( That's the reason I haven't made a brown up until this point (just stuck to porters and stouts). I'm hoping the Arome and CaraGold will add the toasty caramel flavors I'm looking for. Castle malt has been good to me so far, especially with darker beers, so we'll see how it goes I guess unless someone else chimes in!

I think you're right about the oats and the hop additions. I'm going to back off the 60 minute additions and eliminate the 30 minute additions. I'll keep the whirlpool additions because I'd still like that hop character in there.

Thanks again!

Back