Coffee Brewing

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by PeteKap, Jan 13, 2020.

1. PeteKap

PeteKap New Member

I have a question for the group about brewing with coffee. I made a coffee brown ale with cold brew coffee added to keg during kegging. My question is if you add the grounds at flame out does it bitter the coffee flavor or cool to 180 before adding. Any suggestions or idea's are helpful. Thx in advance

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

You are putting in such a small amount of coffee relative to the volume of liquid I don't think the bitterness is much of a factor. I've added it to the boil, steeped it hot, made cold-steeped coffee, threw it into primary and secondary and haven't noticed much difference. Best approach is pick a method and see how you like the results. Don't like them, change the method next time.

Trialben and Mark Farrall like this.
  3. philjohnwilliams

philjohnwilliams Well-Known Member

I have tried a few different ways and what I do now is make about a liter of triple strength cold brew coffee, then add if to taste at bottling time. I do pasteurize and cool it first to avoid risk of contamination.

4. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

I'm another one that hasn't noticed it adding much bitterness. I've tried rough ground beans in the mash. And adding cold brew or espresso and steeping whole grains after fermentation.

But I love roasted flavours in beer and drink espresso straight, so my taste buds are biased. Maybe if you perceive roasted flavours as intensely bitter you may have a problem, but the Nosy prescription above is the way to work through getting the right amounts.

Trialben and Mase like this.