Coconut adjunct

Semper Sitientem

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’m going to try my first coconut porter soon. I’ve got a rock solid porter recipe, so I’m just looking for suggestions on how and when to add the coconut.

I do BIAB with no secondary and 3 gallons into the fermenter. I’m planning on toasting 8 ozs. of unsweetened flakes for the adjunct and adding via a muslin bag. Questions: 1) should I create a tincture?, 2) Planning on two weeks prior to adding the coconut and then one week on the coconut before bottling. How does that look?

Lastly, I’m not a fan of lactose and would rather not use it, but I’m wondering whether a little bit might accentuate the coconut flavor. Or, is the flavor from the roasted malts enough?

Thanks.

I’m going to try my first coconut porter soon. I’ve got a rock solid porter recipe, so I’m just looking for suggestions on how and when to add the coconut.

I do BIAB with no secondary and 3 gallons into the fermenter. I’m planning on toasting 8 ozs. of unsweetened flakes for the adjunct and adding via a muslin bag. Questions: 1) should I create a tincture?, 2) Planning on two weeks prior to adding the coconut and then one week on the coconut before bottling. How does that look?

Lastly, I’m not a fan of lactose and would rather not use it, but I’m wondering whether a little bit might accentuate the coconut flavor. Or, is the flavor from the roasted malts enough?

Thanks.
You can mash it or use it as a "dry hop."

I toasted the coconut flakes in a brown ale I made and put them in the boil for the last 15 minutes. It was 6.5 oz unsweetened and 6 oz sweetened flakes in a 5 gallon batch. It has a mild coconut flavor and aroma.

Back