CO2 Cartridges

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the little 16gm cartridges? I'm trying mini-regulators so need some cartridges and the question is are there food grade/non food grade ones or are they all the same?

TIA :)

I have some and I didn't look to see if there are different ones. I bought them on Amazon a couple of times. They work great when you're on the go with a keg.

I have some and I didn't look to see if there are different ones. I bought them on Amazon a couple of times. They work great when you're on the go with a keg.

I may just get some and see. I can't see anything online about food/non-food so was wondering if anyone knew.

I just ordered ones that came from a brew store front on amazon. Or was listed as an “also bought” item.

They're used in tyre inflators and air guns, other things too I guess. Maybe it's all just good? :)

I use the smaller 8g bulbs that fit in a Red screw in holder - works fine - enough to top up a depleted barrel.

Ok, ok. We're all healthy :)

I use 14lb bottles so have never really looked at cartridges. I source the bottles from a beer gas supplier though rather than a welding gas supplier on the grounds that the welding gas isn't food grade.

I will get the tyre inflator ones and see what happens :)

Didn't even think to see if there were different grades. So I'm another one who's used them and isn't dead. And yes, I've also used the ones I bought for the road bike.

I use the 16 g cartridges and mini regs all the time on my 1 gallon auto system. If you're scared to drink water from a water hose, buy the food grade. If not, buy whatever.
Mini regs are hit or miss. They all seem to work pretty well, but the cheaper ones wear out fairly quick if you use the often. Most of them are leak prone and need special attention on the threads with some good thread tape.

I have 4 of the 20 oz paintball tanks and a mini regulator. Works for portable kegging and to prep a keg waitng in line for the keezer. I refill them from the 20# tank, but I really never get them more than half full.

I've also gone through a couple of mini-regulators. I'll try the Kegland one next. They say it's more hard wearing, though it doesn't have much competition to be considered better.

I looked into this and basically non food grade will have more contamination but likely not harmful. But you probably want to avoid the ones sold specifically for tires inflation those are considered industrial standards much less regulation.

I looked into this and basically non food grade will have more contamination but likely not harmful. But you probably want to avoid the ones sold specifically for tires inflation those are considered industrial standards much less regulation.

That was my question really. There doesn't seem to be any distinction in the listings that I'm seeing. I'm sure it's not a huge big deal but maybe worth paying a bit of attention to

I've also gone through a couple of mini-regulators. I'll try the Kegland one next. They say it's more hard wearing, though it doesn't have much competition to be considered better.

I just sourced a bunch of those from China, fingers crossed for quality but they're a real neat solution and I very much like the look of them.

Back