• Waste of time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great tool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cali Co Brewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was reading up on water and came across water treatment for use in a cold liquor tank to both cool wort and hone in on desired gravity.

This is the first time I’ve seen the use of a CLT mentioned, and I’d really appreciate any feedback on its use at home. Does anyone do this or is it just for the pros?

I don't know when in the process you would use it. I use my HLT with my herms in it to cool wort after the boil(ice and cold water) , but I assume this is not what you are talking about

I use a "CLT" to hold the RO water I use for brewing. My filter's tank isn't big enough or fast enough for me to just let the water run on brew day so I have to collect it in advance. I also mix in my salts in this "tank", a 11-gallon plastic bucket with a spigot. So in my process, its function is to collect and hold treated brewing liquor before use.

A cold liquor tank is nothing more than a chilled water storage vessel. Breweries use this for the cooling medium of the wort chillers. They can use the capacity of their glycol system to store chilled water for the end of the batch. This warmer water exiting the wort chiller can used elsewhere in the process, recovering some of the heat from the boil.

Do you need one? Depends on the cooling requirements of your system. It is useful if your ground water temperature is relatively high. For my batches, I use tap water to cool down to 100F or so, then switch the cooling to a chilled water reservoir.

Back