I can get it any clearer than this.

Attachments

• 20171028_125842_resized.jpg
    20171028_125842_resized.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG954409.jpg
    IMG954409.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 173
I had a small steeping bag in the boil kettle, to control the trub from going into the fermentor, thats super clear. I cant wait to see the results after it done.

Heck yeah thats clearer than my final product after 4 weeks at 3c! Always pushing the boundarys crunk on ya mate!

This is my house helles recipe, I named it Landschaft Helles, I dry hopped it in the primary with an ounce of saaz, I'm attempting to make a good ipl, now that I'm confident in my lager brewing, it's time for me to expand my knowledge, what better way than to take my house helles and play around alittle.

Wow that looks clearer than my pee after Oktoberfest :p
in the other thread we were discussing about racking the trub or not into the fermenter and the effects of doing it.
in te Brulosophy site they tested the impact of trub in the final beer. In his tests, the beer with lots of trub actually was slightly clearer than the other (and other differences). im wondering if the original hot break proteins and aminoacids help somehow the yeast to clean up during the fermentation process.
Viel Glück with your Helles. Im also looking into brewing an IPL now that temperatures are getting colder :p

I use sauergut to control ph and when I reach pitching temperatures that is the first thing drawn from my boil kettle to replace what I used, then the container is placed on my fermentation chamber, if I put it in my lagering chamber as it cold crashes, more trub (egg drop soup) forms in the container, which I find to be plenty of nutrients still left in the wort to feed the yeast for a healthy fermentation. The trub just doesn't appear visually, and when the fermentation is complete, the yeast has utilized most or all of the nutrients, so under cold crash and lagering temps, very little or no trub forms, keeping the beer served, super clean and clear. No filtering needed.

I also spund my beer at 4 to 6 points above terminal gravity, so it self carbonates. I look at it like this, which picture indicates the wort you would prefer going into your fermentor.

Attachments

• 20171028_125842_resized.jpg
    20171028_125842_resized.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170812_165556_resized.jpg
    20170812_165556_resized.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 136
I did not use any brewing salts, or any antioxidants, this was just straight RO water, boiled the evening before, and sprayed a 1/4 cup of boiled RO water on the 12.5 lbs of malt, then purged both the boil kettle and mash tun with nitrogen.

5.5lb weyermanns pilsner
5.5lb weyermanns pale ale
1lb carahell
.5lb cara Munich ll

I choose wlp 820 this time.

.75oz German magnum @60min.
Then I dry hopped the fermentor with 1 oz of saaz, I'm making an ipl this time just for a change of pace.

Og 1.054
Expected fg 1.015

I used my sauergut 1.25% which I am loving

I did not use any brewing salts, or any antioxidants, this was just straight RO water, boiled the evening before, and sprayed a 1/4 cup of boiled RO water on the 12.5 lbs of malt, then purged both the boil kettle and mash tun with nitrogen.

5.5lb weyermanns pilsner
5.5lb weyermanns pale ale
1lb carahell
.5lb cara Munich ll

I choose wlp 820 this time.

.75oz German magnum @60min.
Then I dry hopped the fermentor with 1 oz of saaz, I'm making an ipl this time just for a change of pace.

Og 1.054
Expected fg 1.015

I used my sauergut 1.25% which I am loving
Interested to see how your clarity fairs with the dry hop addition crunk it may cause some haze.
Just speculation.

Am thinking about brewing your helles BTW obviously not LoDo but gee it looks tasty i hope i can do it justice:D.

Youve got it shared eh?

Unfortunately I do not, I haven't looked into the share option in the app, I'll look into it throughout today.

Unfortunately I do not, I haven't looked into the share option in the app, I'll look into it throughout today.
Ah youve pretty much stated your recipie above. To share go to recipe then click.on tools click on share and tick all the boxes cheers crunk.

I put the recipe in and saved it, and shared. I forgot to adjust my brewhouse efficiency when I built the recipe so I adjusted it. The malt bill percentages are the same.

I put the recipe in and saved it, and shared. I forgot to adjust my brewhouse efficiency when I built the recipe so I adjusted it. The malt bill percentages are the same.
Righto yes I'm keen to try some mittlefruh again I'll have to order some Carahell ive got some ale malt what about caramunich Crunk? I've got just standard Munich could I use this or you recon it ain't the same with out caramel Munich?

I suppose if I'm going to order some Carahell I might as well grab some caramunich too:rolleyes:.

I'll be throwing my Czech pils yeast at it.

Righto yes I'm keen to try some mittlefruh again I'll have to order some Carahell ive got some ale malt what about caramunich Crunk? I've got just standard Munich could I use this or you recon it ain't the same with out caramel Munich?

I suppose if I'm going to order some Carahell I might as well grab some caramunich too:rolleyes:.

I'll be throwing my Czech pils yeast at it.

Stick with the cara Munich on this one, Czech pils yeast sounds like a good yeast to try. Prost

I got lazy on my last 3 beers I brewed I didn't build my water because I let my taste buds trick me.

This is a virtual slap to the back of the head of everyone here starting with myself. Dont get lazy, stay on point, be thorough when brewing, your beer will thank you for it.

I'm a huge fan of Belgian Cara Munich, that and Honey malt is the most flavorful good tasting grain, but with either don't add too much

I take my first running and I keep it in a 1.5 gallon corny keg, I keep that in my fermentation chamber at 48°f until 1 week prior to brewday, I then pressure transfer the amount I need into an erlynmeyer flask, and submerge the flask in a bucket of water held at 118°f by my sous vide cooker.

Then I pull enough first running to replace what I used.

I take my first running and I keep it in a 1.5 gallon corny keg, I keep that in my fermentation chamber at 48°f until 1 week prior to brewday, I then pressure transfer the amount I need into an erlynmeyer flask, and submerge the flask in a bucket of water held at 118°f by my sous vide cooker.

Then I pull enough first running to replace what I used.
Oh, a sous vide cooker! I was playing with the idea of keeping it in the same cooler I use for mashing, along with a small heater and a temperature controller. I don't have a sous vide cooker.

I'm also wondering why you save the first runnings. I was under the impression that the wort gravity should be about 1.040. Wouldn't the first runnings be a LOT higher than that?

Last edited:

Back