Citric acid and keg lines/taps

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
Would it be ok to use a citric acid solution on my keg lines and taps

T

Clean with BLC or PBW for regular maintenance. Oxyclean works too. Once every 3 months or so follow that cleaning with a good rinse and then do an acid flush, also followed by a good rinse. .

My cleaning is similar to Bob's. I flush with PBW and Star San. Once a year I run 5 Star Beer Stone Remover through all my kegs and lines. It's amazing how clean it gets your stainless.
No clue on using citric acid.

Citric acid will passivate stainless steel, which is good, but you will need a surfactant to remove organic material. Citric acid will help remove some calcium build up, but beer stone requires a stronger acid, surfactant and an agent to hydrolyze the proteins. Some people use nitric acid, but I found milk stone remover at my local farm supply that's a lot cheaper. Beer stone is a mix of calcium and proteins and unless the acid can break up the proteins (hydrolyze), the stone will remain behind and be a perfect place for bacteria to hide.

Regular cleaning of lines can be done, as others have already said, with PBW. I usually clean up beer stone once or twice a year.

Citric acid is found naturally in citrus fruits, especially lemons and limes. It’s what gives them their tart, sour taste. Clean with BLC or PBW for regular maintenance.

Back