Citric acid and keg lines/taps

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Texas Ale Works, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Texas Ale Works

Texas Ale Works Active Member

Would it be ok to use a citric acid solution on my keg lines and taps

T

2. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Clean with BLC or PBW for regular maintenance. Oxyclean works too. Once every 3 months or so follow that cleaning with a good rinse and then do an acid flush, also followed by a good rinse. .

3. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

My cleaning is similar to Bob's. I flush with PBW and Star San. Once a year I run 5 Star Beer Stone Remover through all my kegs and lines. It's amazing how clean it gets your stainless.
    No clue on using citric acid.

4. HighVoltageMan!

HighVoltageMan! Well-Known Member

Citric acid will passivate stainless steel, which is good, but you will need a surfactant to remove organic material. Citric acid will help remove some calcium build up, but beer stone requires a stronger acid, surfactant and an agent to hydrolyze the proteins. Some people use nitric acid, but I found milk stone remover at my local farm supply that's a lot cheaper. Beer stone is a mix of calcium and proteins and unless the acid can break up the proteins (hydrolyze), the stone will remain behind and be a perfect place for bacteria to hide.

Regular cleaning of lines can be done, as others have already said, with PBW. I usually clean up beer stone once or twice a year.

Trialben and thunderwagn like this.