Cider Yeast Choices

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by wolfie7873, Sep 6, 2016.

1. wolfie7873

wolfie7873 Member

Let the flames begin. ;)

Read a recommendation last night somewhere to use Sweet Mead yeast for Apple Cider as it leaves a bit of sugar and the apple character in tact more than some other yeasts. Last year I used Nottingham, and was initially left with something very much like a delicious white wine (that my wife loved) that I backsweetened with FCAJ. This year I'm hoping to up the ante. The FCAJ did lend a bit of a processed flavor to the finished product that I'd like to avoid.

Does anyone have experience with Sweet Mead yeast for Apple Cider to corroborate what I read? Or sure-fire ways to impart fresh apple character to the finished product?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
  3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that in this case, research some wine yeasts. There's a strain, I believe it's called Eppernay, that is used in wines that don't ferment all the way through. That might be just what you're looking for.

4. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    I second Nosey on that one champagne yeast I've brewed a good fruity cider with this. Or you want sweetness try lactose sugar. Or that saccharine 100 times sweeter than sugar 1 teaspoon per batch is all ya need but you can tast the metallic tast me thinks good luck.

5. Nosybear

I've tried that artificial sweetener thing, using Stevia, natural and supposedly better. Having lived in Europe where feeding rats a trainload of the stuff is not considered good experimental technique for rejecting a food additive, cyclamate is by far the superior artificial sweetener. But my test of it resulted in a drain pour. I'll get sweetness from esters, from residual sugar or unfermentable, natural sugars but no artificial sweeteners. Yuck!

6. Trialben

Pest control tech
    I've had a hunt through me brewing log book Wolfie even though you mighta already gone through with the brew?
    Title Apple Pineapple Cider
    4 lemons Juiced and pasteurised 60c then cooled
    4 pineapples. As above
    200g lactose
    12lt Apple juice no preservatives

Pitch temp =20c
    Craft series cider yeast (mangrove Jacks)
    Og= 1.050 ferment 1 week primary rack secondary onto 50g French oak chips.
    FG=1.006.

Notes = tartyness subdued crystal clear first pour with 12 hours in fridge. Nice twang nice oak aroma bloody good brew worth replicating.
    I've tried the wine yeast with same recipe and prefer this yeast cleaner and dryer but then it depends how ya like it.

7. Nosybear

My next cider will be fermented with Red Star's Cote du Blanc, the Eppernay strain I mentioned above. I'm shooting for applewein, Frankfurt-style. My fermentables will be apple wine concentrate with a kick from several cans of frozen concentrate. I haven't figured out all the particulars just yet....

8. KC

KC Active Member

If you have the ability to cold crash below 40°F, you can stick with Nottingham or most any ale yeast (I use 3333). Use the crash to stop fermentation at some target FG between 1.008-1.020 and give the stalled yeast a week to settle out. It may need a couple crashes to fully drop out and avoid a restarted fermentation. What you rack off the sediment needs no backsweetening.

9. Nosybear

...and I just discovered the crab apple tree we planted three years ago is just covered up with crab apples. Maybe next year their juice will find its way into my cider...

10. Trialben

Pest control tech
    True that KC great idea!

11. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

Has anyone used White Labs English Cider yeast ? WLP775 I think was the type. I used Safale 04 last year and it was OK....better really cold and older and the 3rd sip is better than the first so I need a better recipe this year. I was thinking this one but cut in half...suggestions??

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/74272/hard-cider

12. okoncentrerad

okoncentrerad Active Member

I've used WLP775 several times with good result but also have had a few fails. When it's good it's really nice, lots of apple flavour. I ferment at 20 degrees Celsius. As for back sweetening I like to use lactose which add some sweetness and some body.