Cidar smells very yeasty

KKDawning

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I have a little problem with my first batch of cidar I made with extract. I've bottled them and after 2 weeks of bottling I opened oneand tasted. It smells very yeasty. Of course the taste is not bad but the smell is not pleasant. Any idea why it is so and any solution?

Last edited:
I've never made cider from extract... but you did follow the recipe? How long did you let it sit in the fermenting vessel? Did it finish fermenting? You're not mistaken the yeast smell with a "barn" kind of smell which some ciders have?

Did you taste it before bottling? If so, did it have a yeasty taste then? I would suggest letting it sit for a few more weeks and trying it again. I find cider takes longer to mature than beer, my ciders are usually best after 8+ months on the bottle.

Did you taste it before bottling? If so, did it have a yeasty taste then? I would suggest letting it sit for a few more weeks and trying it again. I find cider takes longer to mature than beer, my ciders are usually best after 8+ months on the bottle.
Hi,
Thanks for the help. I opened a bottle and it seems that it the smell was less. Or maybe the chilled bottle in the fridge smells less at least. I will wait some weeks to see how it change.

Was this the Home Brew Ohio Brewers kit ? If so the Yeast is the culprit. It has a sulfur smell and taste that will never fully go away. It will get slightly better with time in the fridge. The longer the better. in the future. Use different yeast then what they provide.

Back