Christmas Brewery Present!!!

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
:D At the company party yesterday I won a 14.8 cf whirlpool freezer! :D A quick check looks like should hold 10 corny kegs or a couple of buckets and 6 kegs! I am jacked up on this one. Will build a bar over the top and dress up appearance for in brewery. Have seen some pictures of chilling chambers built on top for fermenting and such. Was considering a cabinet of some sort for chilling glasses on top. Could run flex tube and fan ,controller to it maybe? I know condensation considerations. Not a huge budget for this but I have good woodcraft skills and an imagination. Thoughts? Ideas?

Pretty straight forward. Decide if you want a tower, or have the taps out the collar. With a chest freezer and bar top, cobra taps are out. Towers have an issue w/ keeping the lines cold and might be more expensive. The collar is gravy if you got some skills. You can get lots of ideas here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29053

I'm not a fan of the chilled glass, but whatever you like.

I have been keeping glasses in freezer of upright kegerator(holds 5 kegs)mostly to keep clean glasses. In summertime I prefer a cooler glass, wintertime not so much. Maybe just a nice cabinet would be better for glasses rather than try to work around condensation problems. Have seen comments of problems with towers and warm lines also, fans installed etc. Can always put a couple of glasses in lager frig in storeroom. Maybe a collar with taps, build it under a counter/bar and roller frame under keezer for access.

Decided to stay simple for now and if I want to get fancy can add to it later.
Note the Root Beer picnic tap on opposite side.
I do have a regular tap on the way here for the grandkids.
Still haven't found a drip tray I like though.

Attachments

• new keezer.jpg
    new keezer.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,073
I don't think I've seen a conversion done like that before. Did you do that all yourself? How long did it take?

Is it just a matter of building an extension box-frame and then mounting the lid hinges and taps to that? Is there any extra insulation added to the inside of the 2x4's?

Nice video. It has me thinking! Wood is a pretty good insulator, anyway. I doubt more insulation would do significantly better.

EbonHawk said:
I don't think I've seen a conversion done like that before. Did you do that all yourself? How long did it take?

Is it just a matter of building an extension box-frame and then mounting the lid hinges and taps to that? Is there any extra insulation added to the inside of the 2x4's?

Did it myself it was pretty basic. Probably took 8 or 10 hours including installing taps.
There are lots of examples out there to get ideas of what works for you.
Yes I put 1/2 inch hard faced foam board inside the wood with a trim on top edge to help with scuffing the top edge of it.
Different examples use 2x6 but the freezer was plenty tall for kegs and the 2x4's were perfect for matching the lid hinge mounting holes. The lower pair of holes on hinge are now screwed into the upper pair of holes on keezer with upper hinge holes screwed into the wood. Calked the wood frame down to the freezer.

Okay, I bought a 10 cu ft freezer today. My plan is to make a 5 tap unit. I had to order it, so I don't have it yet. It'll be here a week from Saturday. I have one batch ready to package now. Another batch should be ready when the keezer is ready.

Funny how things change. Not very long ago at all, I told my wife I had no interest in kegging.

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
make sure you dont forget the DIY forum post for your build

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1026&hilit=diy

I will get it there eventually. Want to get the brewery addition to the house and a lot of other projects too on there. To busy building stuff I guess. :D

Back