Christmas Ale

Hello all! I am pretty new to all of this so please keep that in mind. I've come up with this recipe for a Christmas Ale and would like some input on how she looks and anything you might change. This is my first recipe I've made up and will only be my second all-grain brew. Appreciate it!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/868371/christmas-ale
It's showing permission error. You've gotta go into recipie click edit go into tools then click on share then we will be able to see it.

It's showing permission error. You've gotta go into recipie click edit go into tools then click on share then we will be able to see it.

Oops sorry, new to this... Should be fixed now

I like your ideas but I would dial back the CaraPils to no more than 2-3% and the combination of C60 and Honey Malt to 8-10 depending on your tolerance for sweetness. (I have very little, so that could easily just be my hangup. I'd be pushing it at 5%)

All the kettle additions could get a little muddled but what's Christmas without a little overindulgence I say. Maybe bump your bittering for balance??

Just one opinion.

Best of luck and keep us posted on changes and especially the results!!

Gotta say, it looks pretty good for a first crack at a relatively complex recipe. It's apparent that some thought and research went into it.

Here's a few thoughts:
-You don't really need any Carapils with the C malt and Honey malt you're using..I'd boost the wheat or the base malt to make up the diff.
-If you don't boost the wheat amount, you don't really need the rice hulls...not going to hurt a thing but one less ingredient to buy.
-Amarillo hops aren't going to play as well with the other flavors as some basic noble or English hops...or just stick with more Crystal.
-I'd think about a touch of dark roast - 1% or so or maybe around 4% Caramunich or Special B to give a little color and nutty/dark fruit flavor.
-I might steer you toward a more neutral yeast. That T-58 gets very tuti-fruity and while it won't clash exactly, it might be nice to let your spice additions stand on their own. An English yeast like Nottingham or Windsor or S-04 would be my choice for a beer like this.
Good luck!

I agree with JA that your wheat will help with body and head so dropping the carapils in substitute for a tad more or not of wheat will give same result. Your honey addition will thin the beer some but maybe will ballance the crystal and high mash temp you've got there. When I'm mashing at 68c I'm mashing for body in my end beer so adding a simple sugar will counter that just a thought.

Good luck with it I hope it turns out great.
Any more questions or thoughts fire away:).

Hey guys, I appreicate all the feedback so far. A little info here, I basically added the carapils in becasue I have some already I wanted to use up. Also, Im brewing on a Robobrew which apparently is notorious for stuck sparges, hence the rice hulls.

Back