Cheers from LA!

BrutusBrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all! First post here!

I have been brewing for about 3 months now, so I know NOTHING. I have about 5 batches under my belt so far, with only 1 being what I would call "unshareable". All part of the learning curve, right?

Currently just brewing extract, but plan on getting into BIAB at some point. I live in LA and do not have AC in my home, so brewing in the summer will be a challenge unless I upgrade my fermenter to have a chilling system. That is something under consideration at the moment, but I have a few months to pull that trigger.

Starting to comb through the forum and read up on all the tidbits of knowledge. Grateful for all the knowledge here and looking forward to applying it to improving my brewing!

-Brad

Welcome from Southwestern Ontario! Definitely look into Kveik yeast. I am just cold crashing a brew done with VOSS Kveik at the moment. I kept it at 30C (86F) to ferment, it works quick too. I think it is comfortable well into the 90s.

Welcome!

Your weather and temperatures won't be a problem: look up Kviek yeast and note the normal fermentation temperatures.

5 brews is non-trivial, you are well on your way.

Awesome, and thank you! That solves that problem! :)

Cheers!
You my man are standing in front of a massive brewing mountain enjoy the journey where all here ( hypothetically) on brew mountain with you. Enjoy.

Welcome from just down Interstate 5, in Anaheim. This is a great forum for knowledge, encouragement and camaraderie.

Welcome!
Yes, look into kveik, but also diffetent yeast in winter.
Plonk the fermenter in a coolbox to level out day/night temperature fluctuations

Welcome! Sounds like you're well on your way with 5 batches under your belt so far. Nothing wrong with extract brewing at all.

Thanks everyone! Very refreshing to see such a supportive community in an online forum. I am used to forums being nothing but flame sessions lol

I did some research on the Kveik yeast last night and want to thank everyone for sharing that knowledge. Looks like the Voss ale strain will work best for me for some west coast IPAs and pale ales. I will have to do some more research to see what strain works best for hefes and stouts as well.

Really enjoying the hobby so far and plan to brew an Irish dry stout this weekend.

I used VOSS in a coffee porter, it took a little bit to settle out and mature.
Might want to let a darker beer bottle condition warm for a month for best results with Kveik.
Upside there is that most, if not all dark beers benefit with some conditioning time.

. I am used to forums being nothing but flame sessions lol

...what strain works best for hefes and stouts as well.
If it makes you feel better we can flame, but you'll need to make a perfectly innocent statement first :rolleyes:

I you ever find a kviek for a hefe let me know, please. I'd be mighty interested. But the typical hefe yeasts are fine at 70 F or so, good for winter. Even in LA.

Welcome to Beer Mountain where all (well maybe not all) of your beer making fantasies can be discussed. "De plain, de plain boss!" Hopefully some of you are ole enough to remember Fantasy Island.

Welcome to Beer Mountain where all (well maybe not all) of your beer making fantasies can be discussed. "De plain, de plain boss!" Hopefully some of you are ole enough to remember Fantasy Island.
Sadly I am old enough to remember it, and sadly I also do remember it...

Back