Reaction score
I could not find this yeast
36588.png

in the recipe builder.

Optimum Fermentation Temp: 59-72°F
Flocculation: Medium
Cell Count: 10 billion cells per gram
Similar Strains: WLP001, WY1056, US-05
The classic American ale strain that has a long history of producing amazing beers. Famous for its clean, neutral flavor and its ability to be used in any nearly any style. The reason this is the most popular strain in homebrewing and craft brewing is that it allows malt and hops to shine. You can never go wrong with CALI. Like all CellarScience yeast, CALI is eligible for direct pitch straight into your wort. CellarScience provides 12g of yeast per sachet, which is up to 9% more than any other brand of dry yeast. Every batch of yeast is PCR tested to ensure quality. CALI has been selling to pro breweries for awhile but was just recently packaged down to sachets for homebrewers.

Never heard of them before now, I will add this to my to-do list this weekend. Thanks for letting us know @Frankenbrewer

I have a sachet of that... Treating it as US-05.

MoreBeer sells them. I got what I think is equiv 05 04 and 34/70. What I read suggests it's a repackage of someone else's yeast .. Maybe Fermentis, maybe Lallemand ???

Last edited:
I guess if it is repackaged it isn't really science, from a cellar, clever name though

Maybe they repackage it in the cellar? No matter, what counts is the beer it produces.

It's slightly less expensive compared to Fermentis and Lallemond. So .....

I brewed a batch of an IPA with it. The beer was about the same as I'd expect from most any Chico strain. Decent beer, but nothing to write home about. MoreBeer has a good price point.

I’ve used it a few times since switching back to dry yeast. Used it in a Session IPA yesterday. I suggested they kick it up to 14 or 15 grams.

Back