carpils ? carapils ?? lost on this term.

It's a typo, should be Carapils (Dextrine) malt, which helps with head retention. Not a key component to that recipe.

i was thinking it was a typo. thanks for the reply. this will be my first batch of beer, i dont know what i am doing yet lo l. i have run a few batches of whisky found it to be very easy. hate to be a bother, but in this recipe.should i add a lil sugar before the final bottling of the batch ? my girl friend likes Amstel light that is why i thinking of trying this recipe first, i have noticed that Amstel light do not have the fizz like most beers when you open a bottle,

Yes you will want to add priming sugar to carbonate it some. Maybe shoot for a lower number of volumes like 1.5-2.0.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

That recipe you have there is far beyond Amstel in terms of flavor. If that is what you are shooting for, cut the hops back 50% at least, and same for the specialty grains.

i find Amstel taste like water my self. i already ground the grains up for this try at it. she will just have to get use to beer with taste,will try that with the next batch in a day or 2. thanks for the info. lets hope she likes the way the house smells in the morning. she might like the beer then.

if i was to cut every thing in half on this recipe would i use half the yeast to ?

You'd want to check the Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator link on the recipe editor. If you are cutting the batch size in half, then yes, less yeast would be called for, but again, check the pitch rate to be sure.

If you have not done so, I recommend entering the recipe into our recipe editor and working with it that way:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... alculator/

if brewing beer is this complicated. ill just forget abought it.

Well it is like glass blowing, golf, a fine scotch, or any other somewhat esoteric hobby - some people get bit by it, and others do not... There are technical aspects to brewing a really good beer. Opening that first bottle of home brew is damn rewarding. Personally, I find home brewing easier and more rewarding than making my own wine.

Brewing good beer really isn't that complicate. My first batch was a Mr. Beer kit that took a total of about 45 min to get in the fermenter and was bottled in soda bottles that I recycled. From what I remember it was fairly tasty. It made me ask, "If brewing good beer is this easy, then way due commercial breweries brew some horrible beer"?

You can make it as complicated or simple as you would like. Take me and golf, I am happy if I par one out of 18 holes, and that normally doesn't happen. But I still have a great time golfing (could be a problem with beer consumption :D).

Try a few simple kits that include everything you need and you will be hooked!

Yeah and don't let us overwhelm you with all the details. Your local home brew store (LHBS) would be the best place to get started! The site is here to point you in the right direction and help you grow as a brewer. Yeast pitching is something I mentioned because it is good to get down pat early, but you can do without for the first several batches and still have very enjoyable results. If you are using dry yeast, just get 2 packs for a 5 gallon batch and you'll be fine. For liquid, just make sure it is as fresh as possible.

finely the internet is working again. the problem with the yeast thing for me is i all rdy bought the 1335 British ale II pack. not sure if i should or can split it in half.might as well go with all of it. since im brewing the batch all rdy

Back