Carbonating bottled beer

LONG CALL BREW

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been investigating the process of using gelatin and cold crashing to clarify beer. My guestion is: Do you run the risk of too much yeast settling out and not having enough left to get a good carbonation when bottling?

I cold-crashed when I bottled and didn't really have trouble. Some yeasts will drop faster and get really clear. For those I would be sure to pick up just a little yeast while siphoning so I could guarantee having some yeast in the bottling bucket. Doesn't take much and it's not enough to cloud up the beer again. Can't help you with the gelatin, though.

We've done a couple with no problems. Listening to the brulosophy podcast they're constantly asked that and they don't believe there's a problem. May slow down the carbonation though, but I can't remember it from the few we've done.

I have been investigating the process of using gelatin and cold crashing to clarify beer. My guestion is: Do you run the risk of too much yeast settling out and not having enough left to get a good carbonation when bottling?
No. I've fined beers after three months and they carb fine, if a little slower. My good friend Dr. Horst Caspari says all it takes is one cell and time.

There's no issue or risk in carbonating your beer in the bottle, after you have fined, cold crashed and added gelatine to it. There will still be enough yeast in the beer, even if it looks clear.

Back