Canning potatoes?

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So we have lots of potatoes, lots of qt jars and want to put up some spuds to go with veggies for quick stew. Tons of stuff on the goog but anybody have any special tricks to not have a jar of mush? Have done this before but would like firmer spuds.

We do a lot of canning, but that's one thing we've never tried. I'd imagine they would be pretty mushy after processing. I'm thinking maybe stuffing wide mouth jars with spears, like pickles only thicker, and using pickle crisp (Calcium Chloride) to keep them firm. I'd try one jar just to see if it works. My other thought would be to peel and blanch them, vacuum seal and freeze.

We do a lot of canning, but that's one thing we've never tried. I'd imagine they would be pretty mushy after processing. I'm thinking maybe stuffing wide mouth jars with spears, like pickles only thicker, and using pickle crisp (Calcium Chloride) to keep them firm. I'd try one jar just to see if it works. My other thought would be to peel and blanch them, vacuum seal and freeze.
I think mom used to use something like that but not with spuds as I recall. When we did them before they were soft but not like mashed yet. Wonder if pickle crisp would make them rubbery?

Back